Treat your pet to Omaha Steaks Pet Treats!

Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Anyone with experience with thrombo embolus in cats? (Read 3,934 times)
somanykitties
God Member

One can never have too
many cats!

Anyone with experience with thrombo embolus in cats?
Oct 2nd, 2015 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Hi everyone, I haven't been on this forum in a long while. Been busy with my 88 year old mom and just lost a dear friend to breast cancer. Anyway, this afternoon I noticed that my 7 year old male, Simon, did not come out to eat with the others and when I went to him, he could not walk on his hind legs. He had been limping on his left leg a couple of days ago but yesterday was better, even jumped up on the counter to eat. He is being treated with Heparin over the week end but I know from reading about it and having worked with a vascular surgeon for 17 years that the prognosis is not good for kitties. Just wondered if there was anyone who had this happen and had a good outcome??

Within the heart of every stray...lies the singular desire to be loved

IP Logged

somanykitties
God Member

One can never have too
many cats!

Re: Anyone with experience with thrombo embolus in cats?
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2015 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
Just a quick update. So far Simon is doing ok. His right foot and leg actually felt a little warmer today. His appetite however is not so good. He does not seem to be in any acute distress or pain. I have fluids to give Sub Q so he is staying hydrated. One more Hep shot tonight and 3 tomorrow. Hoping by Monday there is some more improvement. I've read a lot about this, some good results and some not so good. I am hopeful but I am also being realistic. Any input is greatly appreciated. Smiley

IP Logged

somanykitties
God Member

One can never have too
many cats!

Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2015 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Well this is day 5 since Simon developed the saddle thrombus. He is actually doing very well. He is eating again, grooming himself and acting pretty much normal except for still not being able to walk. I carry him to the potty and he uses it with me holding his hiney up by his tail and then I let him "walk" back to his pillow. Today he enjoyed the fresh air sitting by the open window and also enjoyed some head butting with his fellow fur faces. Things are still a bit iffy as to whether he will recover from this. Things could still go bad so he is not out of the woods yet, but his vet and myself are very hopeful that he will get over this. He is still on Heparin injections but only 2 per day instead of the initial 3. Since he has started eating again he has not needed fluids. I hope I can continue to post good things on this adventure. Smiley

IP Logged

somanykitties
God Member

One can never have too
many cats!

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2015 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
We are still hanging in there. Still eating and drinking well but now the right foot is just a bit swollen and he has lost some fur on the left leg but the skin underneath is pink. It's a waiting game with this. He is still not walking on his feet but he does move his legs when I hold up his backside to he can walk on the front legs. Still hopeful. Smiley

IP Logged

somanykitties
God Member

One can never have too
many cats!

Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2015 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
After trying for a week to regain blood flow to Simon's legs, it just wasn't working. The skin was becoming necrotic and he had absolutely no feeling in either leg. Since the prognosis is so poor I just couldn't let him continue like this. It was no real life for my baby. I miss him so much but I know I made the right decision. My heart is so broken.  Cry

IP Logged

Pet Discussion
Forum Administrator

Pet Discussion, because
we speak for our pets!

Re: Anyone with experience with thrombo embolus in cat
Reply #5 - Dec 20th, 2015 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
So sorry.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.