Treat your pet to Omaha Steaks Pet Treats!

Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Cat having hard time pooping. (Read 3,964 times)
somanykitties
God Member

One can never have too
many cats!

Cat having hard time pooping.
Mar 25th, 2014 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
I have an oldster, about 15 to 17 years old. He is showing signs of age. He's been checked recently by the vet and has no kidney, thyroid, diabetes or other obvious health issues. His appetite has been ok. He eats frequently and mostly wet food although he will eat dry and also loves his treats. He is alert and playful but still needs to rest. He does have arthritis in his back legs. He drinks sufficient water and is not dehydrated. But he has tried several times to poop and it is just not working. I have taken a warm washcloth to his rear to see if I could help him out but nothing happened except for him meowing at me and probably wondering what in the heck I was doing to his butt. My next step would be maybe using vasoline on the end of a match stick. I cannot feel anything in his colon so I'm not sure if he just is having some crampy gas or what. I did give him some tuna in water on Saturday. He got that kind of as a treat after eating his regular food so he didn't eat much, in fact he mostly drank the water. I kept adding warm water to it to keep it good and wet. I don't know if that is the issue now on Tuesday or what. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I also thought about letting him lick just a finger dipped in some vegetable oil since I don't have any mineral oil to see if that would loosen things up for him. He is resting in his favorite chair right now and doesn't act like he is distressed. In fact just a bit earlier he went after a stick as I tapped it around in front of him. Thanks already. Smiley

Within the heart of every stray...lies the singular desire to be loved

IP Logged

somanykitties
God Member

One can never have too
many cats!

Re: Cat having hard time pooping.
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2014 at 9:58am
Print Post  
SUCCESS!!!!  Called the vet, a little vegetable oil on a treat, he's feeling much better. Ate a lot for breakfast and is back pretty much to normal. Even his breathing is much much better. I guess my poor little guy just really needed to go. Smiley

Within the heart of every stray...lies the singular desire to be loved

IP Logged

Pet Discussion
Forum Administrator

Pet Discussion, because
we speak for our pets!

Re: Cat having hard time pooping.
Reply #2 - May 21st, 2014 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
wow 15 to 17 years old! Hope he is doing well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.