Treat your pet to Omaha Steaks Pet Treats!

Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Cat with dry stool (Read 3,133 times)
kitty9

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Cat with dry stool
May 28th, 2012 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
My friend's computer is down, so he asked me to ask.... His cat has dry stool, but not daily.  I told him to take his cat to his Vet. He won't unless his cat is deathly sick. (This bothers me big time!)  He says he brushes his cat daily and his cat seems just fine other wise. Oh and he gives his cat dry and wet food as well as hairball stuff.  Tempest.....do you have any ideas on what causes dry stool in cats?  Is there anything he can give his cat, to help with the dry stool?

I'm still going to bug him, to take his poor cat to the Vet.  I appreciate any help you can give me, to pass on.

Thanks
kitty

IP Logged

Tempest
Forum Administrator

There is none more important
than another.

Re: Cat with dry stool
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2012 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Dry stool can be caused by a number of different circumstances and conditions. Several of the more common are:

1) inability to properly utilize fluids for digestion - This is a common problem in older cats with renal insufficiency. Their ailing kidneys can't use water effectively, so these cats tend to constipate easily unless given extra fluids and stool bulking/softening agents.

2) insufficient water intake - This is common in cats who eat kibble diets. A cat's body is physiologically designed to get most of its water from food (prey). Prey animals (and canned cat food) are approximately 80% water. Kibble, on the other hand, is only 8% water. Cats who eat kibble diets rarely drink enough water to make up that huge dietary fluid disparity, leaving them chronically dehydrated. Dehydration results in dry stool and constipation.

3) consumption of constipating foods - Foods high in calcium will dry and constipate the stool. I'm sure there are other elements which do the same thing, though I don't know what they are.

The key to resolving dry stool is to improve the cat's hydration on a permanent basis. The first and most critical step is to eliminate kibble from the diet. Feed exclusively canned cat food, preferably mixed into a gruel with warm water to further improve hydration. This will give the cat's body the fluid it needs to properly digest food. Improving hydration may be enough to regulate stool consistency, but if it is not ...

Fiber can help bulk up and soften the stool, but it must be given in moderation. Too much fiber can make constipation worse instead of better. One teaspoon daily of a fiber source like canned pumpkin (plain pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling), other cooked squash, or mashed peas, mixed into canned food can help stool consistency. Psyllium husk (available at health food stores) is another effective fiber source but should be used in smaller amounts (1/8 tsp daily).

There are also a number of stool softeners that can be used in cats for whom diet and fiber improvements are insufficient to address the problem, but they should be used under the guidance of a vet. The following links will provide considerable information on these remedies:

http://felinecrf.org/constipation.htm
http://felineconstipation.org/

If your friend's cat is older, bloodwork should be run to check kidney function. If the cat does have renal insufficiency, the earlier it is diagnosed and managed, the longer your friend will be able to maintain a good level of health in his cat. If he waits until the cat is seriously ill and in medical crisis, it will likely be too late to stabilize the cat's condition and save him.

Tempest

IP Logged

kitty9

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Cat with dry stool
Reply #2 - May 30th, 2012 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
I'll copy this and hand it to him!  I think his cat is around 5 or 6 yrs. old.

The cat I had for 18 yrs. never had that problem. I'll continue to bug him, to take his cat, to the Vet.

I really appreciate your time. (I know he does too!)

Thank you so much!

Take care
kitty

P.S. He finally got rid of all the tiny moths, from the bad kitty litter! Thanks for being out there for all of us Tempest!!!  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.