Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic doggie paw hurt question (Read 3,254 times)
LabOwner55

I Love my pets!

doggie paw hurt question
Apr 29th, 2012 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Howdy our 2 year old (we think he is a pitty)  has come up gimp. His rear right leg/paw he is not using (off and on he uses it}.  I took him to the Vet (he needed his shots) and he said he couldn't find a thing wrong with him,

He is sore more in the am it looks like. This happened last week after I took him for his run.

It has been 3 days since the event and he is using it more yet still has issue. 

Other than that he has no symtoms of pain. The first week we got him he hurt his front paw. He would whine each time he stepped on it so he does show pain systems if hurt. He is not doing it for this.

I hope you all can understand this post.... Wink

IP Logged

Tempest
Forum Administrator

There is none more important
than another.

Re: doggie paw hurt question
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2012 at 9:04am
Print Post  
I'm sorry to hear of your dog's injury. Tears of the cruciate ligament are quite common in dogs, so that's the first thing I suspect when a dog comes up lame in a hind leg. If I were you, I'd take the dog to a different vet clinic for a second opinion. If it is a cruciate tear or an achilles tear, the dog will need surgery to repair the damage. In any event, you should be strictly limiting the dog's exercise while lame. He should be on a leash and only going outside long enough to relieve himself. The more he moves around while lame, the more damage he may do to the injured leg.

Tempest

IP Logged

LabOwner55

I Love my pets!

Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2012 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Tempest wrote on Apr 30th, 2012 at 9:04am:
I'm sorry to hear of your dog's injury. Tears of the cruciate ligament are quite common in dogs, so that's the first thing I suspect when a dog comes up lame in a hind leg. If I were you, I'd take the dog to a different vet clinic for a second opinion. If it is a cruciate tear or an achilles tear, the dog will need surgery to repair the damage. In any event, you should be strictly limiting the dog's exercise while lame. He should be on a leash and only going outside long enough to relieve himself. The more he moves around while lame, the more damage he may do to the injured leg.

Tempest

If he had a torn ligament wouldn't there be swelling? Yesterday when I went out, the rest of the family was out as well....He was jumping and running all over the place without limping. He is not favoring it now much at all. So if a tear wouldn't it still be affecting him?

IP Logged

Tempest
Forum Administrator

than another.

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2012 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
LabOwner55 wrote on Apr 30th, 2012 at 1:47pm:
If he had a torn ligament wouldn't there be swelling?

No, not necessarily. In fact, torn cruciates very rarely involve swelling.

Quote:
Yesterday when I went out, the rest of the family was out as well....He was jumping and running all over the place without limping. He is not favoring it now much at all. So if a tear wouldn't it still be affecting him?

If it was a complete tear, he would be quite lame. If it was a partial tear, he may still use the leg with little obvious lameness, depending on the degree of the tear. If there was a partial tear, any exercise could make it worse. Without an accurate veterinary diagnosis, you don't know what you're dealing with or what effect continuing exercise may have on it.

Tempest

IP Logged

LabOwner55

I Love my pets!

Reply #4 - May 1st, 2012 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Tempest wrote on Apr 30th, 2012 at 3:28pm:
No, not necessarily. In fact, torn cruciates very rarely involve swelling.

If it was a complete tear, he would be quite lame. If it was a partial tear, he may still use the leg with little obvious lameness, depending on the degree of the tear. If there was a partial tear, any exercise could make it worse. Without an accurate veterinary diagnosis, you don't know what you're dealing with or what effect continuing exercise may have on it.

Tempest

Unfortunately I do not have the luxury of going to another Vet. Yet he is fine today and is walking around just fine. So I will keep a eye on him. My Vet is a 5 hr round trip. What can a Vet do for a torn thingy on a dog?  Duct tape... Grin  LOL!

IP Logged

Tempest
Forum Administrator

than another.

Reply #5 - May 1st, 2012 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
LabOwner55 wrote on May 1st, 2012 at 12:01pm:
What can a Vet do for a torn thingy on a dog?  Duct tape... Grin  LOL!

That depends on what "thingy" is torn and how badly it's torn.

Tempest

IP Logged

LabOwner55

I Love my pets!

Reply #6 - May 2nd, 2012 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Tempest wrote on May 1st, 2012 at 3:03pm:
That depends on what "thingy" is torn and how badly it's torn.

Tempest

Thanks for your help... he is doing fine now so I don't know what the deal was.  I will keep a eye out for sure.  P.S.   Kiss

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.