Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Need some help please (Read 4,413 times)
somanykitties
God Member

One can never have too
many cats!

Need some help please
Apr 3rd, 2012 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
It has been a while since I have been on the petforum.  My computer has been on the fritz.  But it is good to be back up and running.  My need for help is in regards to my 12 year old calico kitty, Blinky.  We have been treating her for years for stomach issues. Medications have helped in the past but she is so thin and boney.  She eats like she is starving, she usually keeps her food down pretty well. She doesn't always poop it back out but when she does, it is pretty nasty. I felt she was getting dehydrated this week end so I bought some Pedialyte and have been giving her about 2mls at a time. She does drink water but not much. Her urine is not dark and her gums are not really tacky but her fur does not "spring" back. It moves a little slow but not horrible. Today I stopped at the store and bought some chicken liver hoping to boost her iron a bit. I am thinking that may have not been the best thing. Oh, she ate 2 of them raw like there was no tomorrow and looked for more. I didn't want to give her anymore and over load her system. Then I read online that it may give her too much vitamin A. She likes Science diet "thyroid" dry food and loves her Whiskas crunchable treats. But she just does not look well and acts a little weak.  I am calling the vet tomorrow to see if we could give her a steroid shot to calm the colitis and see where she is with blood work as she was a little bit anemic last time. I bought some canned pure pumpkin to try to get her to eat later and see if she likes that, maybe it will help with the stomach a bit too. I just don't know what else to try, like I mentioned, eating food is no problem, she eats, she just does not gain any weight. Thanks for letting me ramble on. I hope someone can give me some good suggestions.

Within the heart of every stray...lies the singular desire to be loved

IP Logged

somanykitties
God Member

One can never have too
many cats!

Re: Need some help please
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
And one more thing...I did buy some Acidophalus caplets but I don't know how much is okay to crush up for her. The instructions for adults is one caplet per day. Well she is just a little 3 to 4lb kitty.  Anyone use them before and how much did you give?

IP Logged

kitty9

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Hi!  Nice to see you back!

I wish I could help you......but if Tempest is around, she CAN help you!!!

Tempest....r u out there?!?! 

Take care hon and good luck with your baby!!!  Smiley

kitty

IP Logged

somanykitties
God Member

One can never have too
many cats!

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Thanks Kitty9.  So good to have a friendly response from an old friend. I am hoping too that Tempest is out there.  I know she is busy with her own fur faces and problems but hopefully she will read this post. Hope you are doing well. I am glad to finally be back.  I have missed my computer contacts.

IP Logged

somanykitties
God Member

One can never have too
many cats!

Reply #4 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
Just a quick update, I took Blinky to the vet this morning because she was so weak this morning.  She got a steroid shot to help with her stomach and they gave me fluids to do sub-Q fluids for her at home. (they were only there a half day today and couldn't keep her).  I took her to work with me and fixed her some chicken which she ate some of and she did drink a little water.  I took her home at lunch time and gave her sub-Q fluids.  She also ate a little more chicken.  I am hopeful that she will pull out of this since she is eating and drinking a little bit. But she is just not feeling great.  She is a bit anemic too which we knew because of the stomach. The vet gave me good suggestions on foods for her to help build her back up. I think as long as she has some sort of an appetite that maybe she will recover from this.  Her weight had dropped to 3 1/4 lbs from the 4lbs she was about a month ago.

IP Logged

Tempest
Forum Administrator

There is none more important
than another.

Reply #5 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Yes, I'm here!  OK, first, I need you to go back to your vet tomorrow and get copies of ALL of her bloodwork and any other labs that have been run on her and post the results here so that I can take a look. I need to know the date(s) of the lab results and the lab's reference ranges for each blood value, along with Blinky's current blood values. When you post them, put them in this format:

creatinine 2.1 (0.6-2.0)
BUN 41 (18-36)
Glu 127 (56-153)
Total T4 9.6 (1.9-4.8)
etc.

Post ALL lab results, NOT just the ones that are out of normal range. It's important to see everything in order to put it all into proper perspective.

You may have posted about Blinky in the past, but my old brain has a heck of a time keeping all of these animals' ailments straight, so please remind me of any chronic illnesses or conditions with which Blinky has been diagnosed. Why are you feeding her thyroid food? Has she been diagnosed hyperthyroid? If so, what is her current Total T4?
How are her kidneys? Is she diabetic? Anything else?

I need more background and current information in order to provide relevant and useful suggestions.

Tempest

IP Logged

somanykitties
God Member

One can never have too
many cats!

Reply #6 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Oh Tempest, how good it was to see a reply from you.  I will get the blood work tomorrow. They did not do any new blood work today since it had not been too long ago.  At that time the only thing he talked about was her being a little anemic and her, I think, Amalase being off.  She is not diabetic as far as we know. No, the science diet was just given to me so I have been mixing it in with her regular food.  She did seem to like it and I told the vet about it.  I have given her 2 doses of fluids today, both around 50ml. The vet suggested just that since she is so little. She did eat twice today, just a little chicken.  I haven't fed her yet tonight.  I am going to boil some more chicken.  Right now she just seems so tired. The elasticity of her skin is much better since the fluids though.  She is resting more comfortably it seems, maybe from the steroids. The only chronic condition she has ever had has always been with her tummy.  This has been going on for years.  She has been on Flagyl as well as steroids from time to time.  Her urine seems okay, not dark or strong in odor and she is going pretty regularly.  My regular vet is out of town this week so I saw his partner today. She did meet me at the door when I came home which made me happy, but still weak.  I am probably not making much sense as I have not gotten much sleep lately worrying about her.  Sad  I will get the info you need and hopefully get it to you tomorrow.  thanks so much again for posting.  I have missed you but I know you are very busy with your own babies.

IP Logged

somanykitties
God Member

One can never have too
many cats!

Reply #7 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
"She did meet me at the door" I did mean the cat, not the vet. Smiley

IP Logged

Tempest
Forum Administrator

than another.

Reply #8 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
somanykitties wrote on Apr 4th, 2012 at 4:57pm:
Oh Tempest, how good it was to see a reply from you.

Rest assured I'm never far away. I try to remember to check on the board at least once a day so that I don't miss any critical pleas for help.

Quote:
I will get the blood work tomorrow.

Good. I always urge folks to request and keep files of ALL of their animals' lab test results so that they can easily track any changes in the results over time. Vets see so many patients daily that they usually don't have time to go back through an animal's history and notice those changes themselves. It's really up to us caretakers to know what's going on with the health of our 4-leggeds and other non-human companions. I can't tell you how many times I've had to point out changes in lab values that my vet didn't realize were happening. In fact, I keep a spreadsheet of lab results for each of my animals on my computer. Every time labs are run, I add them to that animal's spreadsheet and compare them with earlier lab results.  I don't miss much that way.

Quote:
They did not do any new blood work today since it had not been too long ago.

When a cat is anemic, it's best to minimize bloodwork as much as possible. Every drop of blood is important to a cat who doesn't have enough.

Quote:
the science diet was just given to me so I have been mixing it in with her regular food.

Do NOT feed her prescription thyroid food ... even if she is hyperthyroid (which, from the symptoms you've posted, I think is a good bet). Have you read the label on that food?  It's GARBAGE!

Quote:
I have given her 2 doses of fluids today, both around 50ml.

I'm very glad that you're giving her fluids. They can be truly lifesaving and can make a sick cat feel MUCH better. Few cats need more than 100 ml of supplemental fluids daily, and you're wise to split it into two admins daily to help her small body process the fluid and keep her more evenly hydrated throughout the day.

Quote:
She did eat twice today, just a little chicken.  I haven't fed her yet tonight.  I am going to boil some more chicken.

If she's eating primarily chicken, buy some taurine powder and sprinkle a very small amount over her food once daily to make sure she gets enough. Also, a few drops of fish oil (like the fish oil capsules people take) is a healthy supplement that can help reduce inflammation.

Quote:
Right now she just seems so tired.

Anemia will really weaken a cat and strip her of energy. Dehydration can do the same thing. So can not eating enough.

Quote:
The elasticity of her skin is much better since the fluids though.  She is resting more comfortably it seems, maybe from the steroids.

Her increased comfort is more likely the result of the fluids, though if her gut is inflamed, the steroids should be helping with that.

I know that I just told you that bloodwork should be minimized in an anemic animal, but if a Total T4 has not been run on Blinky to check her thyroid function, I strongly recommend having that done ASAP. Her symptoms are consistent with hyperthyroidism, though there are other conditions that could account for them, as well. If she is hyperT, that can be managed (though not cured) with medication or even CURED with a very expensive radioactive iodine treatment. But if she is hyperT, the one thing you must NOT do is ignore it. Uncontrolled hyperT can be fatal.

Quote:
I know you are very busy with your own babies. 

You have NO idea! But I won't go into that and hijack your thread. Let's just see what we can do about helping Blinky.  Smiley

Tempest

IP Logged

somanykitties
God Member

One can never have too
many cats!

Reply #9 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 9:52am
Print Post  
I am so sad to report that my beloved Blinky died this morning.  Thank you Tempest for all your help and encouragement.  I had such hopes that with the fluids and the shot that she would start to get better, especially since she ate really well last night and seemed to be resting comfortably. But she was still so weak and meowed so pitifully. I think her long course with her tummy issues and being anemic just did its toll on her poor little body.  She was so fragile. I miss her so much.  I was with her until she died holding her little paws, petting her and telling her I love her. She was 12 years old and had been with me since she was 2 weeks old when her mommy stopped taking care of her and her sister. Blinky and Chewey were both bottle fed until they learned to eat food. Chewey will miss her sister too as well as all the other babies still with me.  Cry

IP Logged

Tempest
Forum Administrator

than another.

Reply #10 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 10:47am
Print Post  
I am so, so sorry for your loss of Blinky. It is so horribly difficult to watch a beloved's body fail and not be able to stop the process. That beautiful spirit that has given you so much love and joy over the last 12 years has now been freed from that failing body. No more struggles for beautiful Blinky.

Every time one of my beloveds passes, they take a piece of my heart with them. I like to believe that those heart pieces are keeping their spirits tethered to mine, and that when it is my turn to pass, my beloveds will return all of those pieces to me and make my heart whole again.

I wish you a peaceful grief,

Tempest

IP Logged

somanykitties
God Member

One can never have too
many cats!

Reply #11 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Thank you so much Tempest.  I am grateful that she is no longer suffering with her tummy and being so frail..but I so hurt and miss her so much.  I love your comment about a piece of your heart going with your babies when they pass.  It is so true. I have lost so many over the years and sometimes feel that my heart just cannot take anymore.  I'm sure you feel the same at times, but we keep on loving and taking care of these very special creatures.  And you are so right...they do give so much love and joy and do it unconditionally. I have wonderful memories of my little girl and she and all the other babies I have lost will always fill my heart with joy for having been able to be a part of their lives as they were a part of mine. Thank you again for being there.  As always you bring so much to this forum in the way of encouragement, wisdom and love.

IP Logged

kitty9

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
I'm so very sorry for your loss.  I know you did the best you could.  You're a wonderful Mom to all your fluff wads! =^..^=

Thank you Tempest for being out there, for everyone!! 
You are truly an amazing person.  This Forum is so very lucky to have you!!!

Take care!

kitty

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.