Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic i bought a new litter box w/ hood attached (Read 2,098 times)
Mary_Ellen

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

i bought a new litter box w/ hood attached
Mar 31st, 2012 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
She has gone in there last nite & once today.  How long should I continue w/ this new litter box b/4 I remove it & put the old one bck?
Angry

IP Logged

kitty9

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: i bought a new litter box w/ hood attached
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2012 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Hi Mary!

What was your goal, with having this new litter box?  How old is your cat? 

Take care
kitty

IP Logged

Mary_Ellen

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2012 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Shes 7 yrs old, I didnt like the old litter box, cause of the litter going on the tiles eventhough I hv a rug underneath it.  It has a hood & a door she was shown how to go in it, but shes not going to the litter box as often as she used to w/ the other litter box.  I dont want her getting sick from holding her urine. Cry

Thx so much 4 replying to my msg!

IP Logged

kitty9

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
I honestly don't think any kitty likes "going", with a cover over them. At least my fluff wads didn't like it. =^..^=

I'd remove the cover and invest in a few litter mats. It really helps!

The brand of kitty litter you use could be an "issue", with your baby too. 

I hope this helps.  Keep us posted!
kitty

IP Logged

Tempest
Forum Administrator

There is none more important
than another.

Reply #4 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
I'm still not sure I understand your question. Are you thinking that if your cat uses a covered litterbox a few times, that it will somehow train her not to kick litter out of a regular box without a lid? I don't think that's going to happen. Your best bet is to buy a much larger box with taller sides to help contain the litter more effectively. A lot of folks buy Rubbermaid or similar plastic storage containers, which are much larger than a standard litterbox. Then they either cut the sides down a bit, or they cut a cat-sized hole in one side so that the cat can go in and out easily. I tried one with the cat-sized hole cut in it, but only one of my 18 cats will use it. I expect that if I buy another one and just cut the sides down so that the cats can easily jump over them but so that they'll still be taller than a standard litterbox, more of my cats will use it that way.

Tempest

IP Logged

Mary_Ellen

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
kitty9 wrote on Apr 3rd, 2012 at 7:31pm:
I honestly don't think any kitty likes "going", with a cover over them. At least my fluff wads didn't like it. =^..^=

I'd remove the cover and invest in a few litter mats. It really helps!

The brand of kitty litter you use could be an "issue", with your baby too. 

I hope this helps.  Keep us posted!
kitty

I finally hd to take the cover off & she finally went, yes I do hv a mat underneath I did originally hv a big litter box but The hoodie looks alot better w/ a door attached besides, but she was not a happy camper & the minute w/ took the cover off she was very happy cat.......
thx for yr reply Smiley

IP Logged

Mary_Ellen

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Tempest wrote on Apr 4th, 2012 at 2:59pm:
I'm still not sure I understand your question. Are you thinking that if your cat uses a covered litterbox a few times, that it will somehow train her not to kick litter out of a regular box without a lid? I don't think that's going to happen. Your best bet is to buy a much larger box with taller sides to help contain the litter more effectively. A lot of folks buy Rubbermaid or similar plastic storage containers, which are much larger than a standard litterbox. Then they either cut the sides down a bit, or they cut a cat-sized hole in one side so that the cat can go in and out easily. I tried one with the cat-sized hole cut in it, but only one of my 18 cats will use it. I expect that if I buy another one and just cut the sides down so that the cats can easily jump over them but so that they'll still be taller than a standard litterbox, more of my cats will use it that way.

Tempest

Originally hd a big litter box but it was ugly, so this was a more modern one I just bought, but b/4 I bought the new one, she wd get litter all over the place, even w/ a mat underneath.  But now w/ I removed the cover I tht I wd hv a problem w/ the litter but I dont, but maybe w/ the new shape the litter stays in.....so now shes happy, why do they make covers for them, I know they want u to buy anything new but I didnt want to throw the new away, just removed the cover, horray.  She wd hold her urine till she cdnt hold it anymore, I tht something was wrong w/ Lucky but it was the cover oh well thx for yr help, next time I w/ ask on the forum b/4 I buy anything new, & get opinions thx again Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.