Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Cat Attacks New Dog - HELP! (Read 1,468 times)
Katie

I Love my pets!

Cat Attacks New Dog - HELP!
Jan 17th, 2012 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
We have had our 6 year old cat for three years. He's lived alone with us in that time with no other pets.

Today, we adopted a 10 year old corgi mix.

We put up baby gates to section off where the cat can 'be safe'. The dog is the most gentlest dog I have ever seen.

We put our cat in his 'safety area', but soon realized he just jumps over the baby gates.

The dog came in, and totally ignored the cat. However, when our cat first laid eyes on him, he RAN to the dog and started to attack.

Since the incident, we've kept the dog with my husband in our office, while the cat has complete freedom in the rest of the house with me (so they don't feel like we are neglecting them).

Anyways, the cat is seeking out the dog. The cat waits right outside of the office door, waiting for my husband to come out. Whenever my husband has to open the door, the cat tries to run in and attack the dog again, filled with hissing and puffing himself out.

The cat has become OBSESSED with trying to get to the dog. It's so bizarre. We thought the cat would for sure be terrified of the dog and just go into hiding. We have to keep them separated.

Now, I know it's only the first day, but we have never, EVER, seen our cat act like this. For the past three years, he has been very loving, towards everyone. Friendly with all people, loves laying on us, and was just a big, happy guy. He has never hissed at anything or anyone. So, when we saw him lunging at the dog, we were really just in shock.

So, the question is, what do we do?

Again, it's only the first day, but we've spent a good 4 hours reading on how to properly introduce a new dog to a cat. Everyone suggests baby gates, but the cat isn't using them to 'be safe' from the dog, but it jumps over the gates to attack the dog.

We are rubbing wet towels on the dog, and then rubbing them on our cat. We also are currently keeping the dog behind closed doors, but the cat is still sitting right outside the door, waiting for any time we decide to open it.

Has anyone ever dealt with this? It seems like a hopeless situation. With the amount of focus the cat has on the dog, I feel like even after a month, the cat will stay the same and be aggressive (which is so crazy!) We don't want to keep the dog cooped up in one room for a month, as that's not fair to the dog.

We're keeping him in one room for now, though, because it was suggested that we make sure that the cat feels that his territory hasn't been taken over.

Does it get better? Does anyone have any more suggestions on how we can get the cat to accept the dog? We're going to try very, very hard for a month, trying to get them to accept each other. I work at home, so I am able to pay attention to them every moment, if needed. If within a month, there is NO improvement, we will have to give the dog back to its foster parents, which would be heart-breaking. We are only giving it a month because it isn't fair to the dog to be stuck in one room. We understand that a month may not be enough time, but we want them to at least AVOID each other, rather than having the cat go crazy on the dog.

This cat comes at the dog in a full-on attack, arms wide and claws ready. We did trim his claws, but I'm pretty sure damage can still be done.

Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you for reading this.

IP Logged

kitty9

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Cat Attacks New Dog - HELP!
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
I hope you leave Tempest a message.  She might suggest something to help. Unfort. I have no suggestions to help you.  It looks like nobody else has any ideas.  Most are spot on, with suggestions. I know your kitty is ticked big time. 
Hopefully by now your kitty has accepted your new addition.

I wish you the best of luck. Please keep us posted!

Take care
kitty

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.