Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Did Metacam kill my dog? (Read 9,301 times)
aba

I Love my pets!

Did Metacam kill my dog?
Jun 14th, 2011 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
About 2 weeks ago I took my 9 year old lab to our vet for treatment of a horrible ear infection.  He gave us Cipro, Ear Ointment and Metacam.  After a few days my dog did not want to eat and was throwing up.  I called back and assuming it was the antibiotic explained the symptons and was given TMZ to use instead of the Cipro.  A few days later my dog stopped eating and drinking and was gagging/dry heaving constantly..I stopped giving him all medicine at this time (including the Metacam).  He finally ate some ground beef and drank water on Sunday.  I called the vet on Monday and tried to take him back in but they were booked and would not see me (even after I explained what was going on and sat in the waiting room for 30 minutes with my sick dog).  They told me to take him to emergency care in Pittsburgh (45 minutes away)..I ended up finding another vet clinic the next day.  They took chest x rays and checked for heartworm - all was OK.  They then ran some blood tests that showed that his kidneys were failing. It was so horrible...there was nothing they could do and we had to put him to sleep.  After I went home and did some research I could not believe what I read about the side effects of Metacam.  Why wouldn't my vet tell me to stop giving it to my dog when I called the first time..the side effects are exactly what he experienced.  It also stated that blood work should be done on older dogs to confirm that kidney/liver problems don't already exist..why didn't my vet do any of this...was Metacam really necessary for a bad ear infection....has anyone ever been through this?  I feel like it is my fault that I kept giving it to him and didn't do research sooner...I just trusted my vet who wouldnt' even take 10 minutes to look at him again.....I am truly heartbroken..

IP Logged

somanykitties
God Member

One can never have too
many cats!

Re: Did Metacam kill my dog?
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2011 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
I am so so sorry for your loss.  Don't be so hard on yourself.  You did as you were instructed to do.  The vet should be ashamed for not taking the time to at least check out your pup especially since you were there.  That shows to me a total lack of care for animals to turn someone away who has an obviously sick animal.  My heart goes out to you and your family.

Within the heart of every stray...lies the singular desire to be loved

IP Logged

cromeo

I Love my dog

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Metacam can cause vomiting, diarrhea and loss of appetite, as well as more serious side effects such as ulcers, intestinal bleeding, tarry-colored stools and intestinal perforation. Some of these side effects can appear suddenly and quickly become life-threatening to your dog, petplace.com advises. Using metacam with other NSAIDs can increase the risk of ulcers
Metacam can decrease blood flow to the kidneys, which can lead to kidney failure, especially in dogs with decreased kidney function, according to veterinarypartner.com. The drug can also impair kidney function in dehydrated dogs.

Its obvious that the vet that prescibed the Metacam did not do the thorough research to prescibe the drug,  so in answer to your question,  possibly yes, it could have, I think the vet was negligent in not concidering all symptoms and doing more research, research is my middle name, and it is devastating to a pet lover, I am so very very sorry for your loss, and I feel that it could have been avoided, thats my opinion, heres another quote from a site on metacam and side effects, 
   Because metacam is metabolized in the liver, it can overtax the organ, leading to liver problems. This is more likely to occur in dogs with existing liver disease or when the dog is taking other drugs that are also metabolized in the liver, according to veterinarypartner.com. This side effect will usually resolve itself if metacam treatment is discontinued in your dog.
    The vet should have stopped it, I think so anyway.
I hope some of this info will help you here is the most informative site I found.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5300091_side-effects-metacam-dogs.html[color=#ff0000][/color]

I have a basset with ears as long as the deficit, LOL, all my vet ever used was Otomax, and her ear infections were better in about 4 days,  Again very sorry for your loss I love dogs,  Smiley

IP Logged

Dr. C

Dr. C

Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2011 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Wow! Sorry to hear about your horrible ordeal! What a tragic situation to go through! Metacam is a type of non-inflamatory medication. It was probably prescribed to reduce the inflammation in the ear. I'll do that sometimes on dogs whose ear infections are really painful, it provides relief while the ear meds kick in. Likely your dog was already experiencing kidney issues when the medication was prescribed and maybe the Metacam made it worse. Was your dog experiencing any increased drinking or urination over the past year or so? 99.9% of the time, I can prescribe a medication like metacam for a couple of days with no concern. It's just horrible when that 0.1% of the time this happens. I'm so sorry for you loss! I wish you could have had a more compassionate experience with your vet as well. Sorry.

Follow my daily ups and downs as a veterinarian at:
carrie-capuano.blogspot.com
IP Logged

AlvinCampbell

I Love my pets!

Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 5:00am
Print Post  
Nice post. I think the vet was negligent in not concidering all symptoms and doing more research, research is my middle name, and it is devastating to a pet lover, I am so very very sorry for your loss, and I feel that it could have been avoided, thats my opinion, heres another quote from a site on metacam and side effects, 
   Because metacam is metabolized in the liver, it can overtax the organ, leading to liver problems. They do best if fed small frequent meals throughout the day rather than one large meal. I will regularly bookmark of your website. The wings don't move the lungs and air-sacs are not being used to their full potential.  Any organ that it's not used properly will atrophy.  An atrophied organ is an organ prone to infections. Thanks for nice information.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.