Treat your pet to Omaha Steaks Pet Treats!

Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Rabbit minimum safe temperature (Read 8,428 times)
gladfan

I Love my pets!

Rabbit minimum safe temperature
Nov 27th, 2010 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
I have a nice black rabbit, it lives in our back yard in a nice two level hutch. Its now getting extremely cold out there, last check it was -6c i have tried to look what the minimum temperature is for a rabbit outside safely but cant find any info on the net. I can only bring it in and was wondering if a)the rabbit can survive at -6 or b) would the shock of bringing it into the warm house do her harm? any advice would be appreciated.

IP Logged

joshuaty2010

I Love my pets!

Re: Rabbit minimum safe temperature
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2011 at 4:01am
Print Post  
My nephew has also a rabbit which gave to him as Christmas gift recently. By the way, i think rabbit is not too sensitive when it comes to whether although to make sure we also get inside the house our rabbit when it cold at night. So i think it was shocking if you do that also.

no spam please
IP Logged

AlvinCampbell

I Love my pets!

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 4:09am
Print Post  
I think rabbit is not too sensitive when it comes to whether although to make sure we also get inside the house our rabbit.  Your rabbit might not die right away, if  he's covered, but he will certainly be miserable and very uncomfortable in temperatures this cold.

IP Logged

Minerva Yates

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Keeping your rabbits dry should be a priority. Even if they are protected by their thick fur against the cold, once their skin gets wet, they will have a hard time keeping warm. Make sure that their water containers are securely in place to avoid getting it knocked over and getting the rabbits wet. This is why a hutch with a wire mesh floor is good, if water is spilled, it falls directly down on the ground. This is also true for other waste matters and spilled food. A tray is usually placed under the hutch to hold the spilled matters. Just ensure that the tray is always emptied to keep the hutch clean.

Free Drug Card for Pets
Save money on prescriptions for your pet!
Best of all the card is FREE!
www.thefreedrugcardsiteforpets.com
IP Logged

kathycurtis

I Love my pets!

Reply #4 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 4:54am
Print Post  
Rabbits are actually sensitive creatures! It actually depends on the kind of rabbit you have. Wild rabbits cope and manage well with the changes because but domesticated ones rely heavily on us humans to look after them.

IP Logged

Matthew Kearney

I Love my pets!

Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2011 at 12:51am
Print Post  
If the temperature of Rabbit is above 106o F then a quick alcohol bath followed by cold towel wrap works fine.

IP Logged

Silen harvate

I Love my pets!

Reply #6 - Aug 31st, 2011 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
I think the normal temperature won't affect the rabbit. It can sustain any climatic condition.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Mikelowe

I Love my pets! They are
part of my family.

Reply #7 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
-6c is very alarming for the rabbits. Try bringing your rabbit inside your house if the temperature reached that low and put him/her in the coolest part inside your house first then let him/her adopt to the temperature of the whole house.

IP Logged

HelloKitty_PuppyLuv

I Love my pets!

Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
When it comes to housing rabbits, be sure that your (rabbit cage)http://www.petco.com/product/116476/Midwest-Wabbitat-Rabbit-Cage.aspx is equipped with plenty of ventilation and stored in an area in which they are protected. When it comes to temperatures, remember that they are covered in fur.. so they will have a tendency to heat up quicker than you and I. Regardless of whether you house them indoors or out, it is absolutely vital that their cages and hutches are in areas with temperatures below 80-degrees F. Anything warmer can cause health issues. good luck!!!

...Save a life or two.. Adopt a pet! Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.