Treat your pet to Omaha Steaks Pet Treats!

Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic A dog and his boy-sweet story! (Read 4,275 times)
StubbyDog

I Love my pets!

A dog and his boy-sweet story!
Oct 27th, 2010 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Our StubbyDog of the week is Popeye! Here is his story by his mommy, Barbara Pingree...

This is a story about a boy and his dog.  Ben is a 3 year old little boy in New York who came to us from Guatemala and  Popeye is a 4 year old Pit bull from Georgia who came to us from  Pitty Love Rescue.  When the two met a bond was created that was magical .

It all  began when we lost George,  our brindle Pit bull, a year and a half ago.  I needed my Pit bull fix  and decided to attend an adoption event held by Pitty Love Rescue.   I was so impressed by them that I  decided to  foster with no intent of adopting. I did not think I was ready. 

After a  home visit ,  we were accepted as a responsible foster.  Jenn, the president of the group told me about a dog that they were asked to take but he was in Georgia. All reports on this dog were wonderful and he  had  even  been  taken to a trusted training center for complete evaluation since they could not do it in person.    I said that I was   considering  fostering  and perused other dogs  they were monitoring .  She kept gently saying that she would really like me to meet Popeye. 

After a discussion with my husband, the decision was made. We would meet Popeye as a family and see how this big guy reacted to us and a three year old. The rest is the making of a beautiful  love story.

We have other dogs so Ben has been around dogs. He loves them but when he met Popeye he immediately declared that Popeye was his dog. And that is exactly how it is. Where one is you will find the other. Popeye can be in a complete sleep mode and if Ben leaves the room he  will get up to follow him. Talk about a nanny dog!

I, of course, was responsibly cautious with my current dogs and my cats ,  but Popeye is absolutely a peacemaker.   He showed no interest in the cats and the first time together with one he  got  bopped on the head and ran to a chair, jumped on it and looked at me as if to say “what did I do“??

Popeye is an old soul in a 4 year old body. He spent his  entire  4 years on a chain with basically no interaction  and  came to us not even knowing how to be a pet. He  has  never had an accident in the house and  acts as though he always  has  had a loving family. How forgiving and appreciative is that?

He has turned many heads and changed  apprehensive looks into smiles. Ben makes sure that he immediately tells everyone that Popeye is HIS dog. And yes, if Popeye could speak he would definitely be saying “and Ben is MY little boy”   Everyone who meets Popeye just loves him.

Thank you Jenn and Pitty Love Rescue for saving Popeye and bringing him into our lives.  Our lives have been changed for the better . Just ask one 3 year old little boy.

popeye.jpg (Attachment deleted | 184 Downloads )
IP Logged

Leslie

I Love my pets!

Re: A dog and his boy-sweet story!
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
What a lovely story! I love when children and animals bond so that they can depend on each other as they grow... I think an animal bond can really help the soul.

Smiley I HEART Mittens and my FUZZY little RATTLESNAKE; invest in pet insurance!
IP Logged

Rich M

I Love my pets!

Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Just a super picture.  Reminds me of my son when he was that age (now 21) with his Rottie.  Just an awesome photo.  Thanks for sharing.

IP Logged

mity

I Love my pets!

Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2010 at 4:37am
Print Post  
It is a love story,I have a favorite dog few years ago, but  my dog left me, just hope it can live well in one place. Sad
I like your story very much ,thanks!I hope you can take care of your dog!

IP Logged

AlvinCampbell

I Love my pets!

Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 1:29am
Print Post  
We have other dogs so Ben has been around dogs. He loves them but when he met Popeye he immediately declared that Popeye was his dog. And that is exactly how it is. Where one is you will find the other. Popeye can be in a complete sleep mode and if Ben leaves the room he will get up to follow him. Talk about a nanny dog! I love when children and animals bond so that they can depend on each other as they grow. Grin

IP Logged

Kseni

I Love my pets!

Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 8:26am
Print Post  
Nice picture and story. Dogs like children because their love is truthful to them.

I love Yorkie Puppies

IP Logged

cromeo

I Love my dog

Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2011 at 11:44am
Print Post  
Great Story

IP Logged

AlvinCampbell

I Love my pets!

Reply #7 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 8:16am
Print Post  
Really it is nice story. Not only are pets great companions and family members but there is evidence that they can help reduce stress in adults and help children to learn about life and even do better at school!

IP Logged

alena hog

I Love my pets!

Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 6:12am
Print Post  
from story i felt that both are made for each other.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.