Treat your pet to Omaha Steaks Pet Treats!

Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ground training tips? (Read 3,722 times)
Animal Artist
Ex Member

Ground training tips?
Jul 25th, 2010 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Not sure where to start as far as ground training. She is a relatively sweet mare and is pretty good. I would just like to fine tune. Any tips about what to do? In no particular area, anything. If you have a tip for grooming, clipping, lunging etc anything feel free to share. Much appreciated!

IP Logged

animalhealthscience
Ex Member

Re: Ground training tips?
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 9:05am
Print Post  
The most basic of horse training aids is the halter and lead rope combination. A rope halter will facilitate tying and leading, and works better than a flat halter because it will prevent leaning while at the same time being comfortable for the horse. The halter is placed on the animal's head.

IP Logged

Dinhdai
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2011 at 10:06am
Print Post  
we can use other types of wire instead of rope?

IP Logged

Michelle

I Love my pets!

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Spend a lot of time with your horse brushing and walking with her so you can form a bond and build trust. When you want to clip her try to find your quietist clippers and when she is in her stall eating and doing whatever just turn the clippers on for a while so she can just get used to the sound. Then when she is familiar with the sound then you can begin working on small areas at a time on her body.

My favorite ground work to do is lounging/ or free lounging. If you have a round pen that works best. In school I took a coarse on "tackless training" in this coarse we learned out to use out bodies to free lounge the horse. You learn how to make them go faster and slower, change direction, stop, back up and to make circles. This is a great way to build trust and exercise your horse. When lounging your horse make sure you are using an area that has enough room for their size so you don't put too much stress on their legs.

IP Logged

AlvinCampbell

I Love my pets!

Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 1:28am
Print Post  
A horse should walk beside you calmly while paying attention to you at all times. When you ask your horse to back up, or step to the side he should do so willingly without any resistance. He shouldn’t pull you, drag you, hang back or push into you. Teaching your horse to lead properly is the basis for almost every other aspect of good manners. Whether your horse is in a stall or out to pasture, it is vital your horse can be caught quietly. There is nothing more frustrating than having planned an hour of riding, training or any other activity and have that time taken up chasing after your horse because he doesn’t want to be caught. Things can get dangerous if your horse feels cornered and the only escape is running over you. Learn horse training tips to help you overcome this issue. A horse that won’t load in a trailer quietly isn’t just frustrating—it can be dangerous. You may not plan to leave your property with your horse but that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t learn to get in a trailer. Emergencies can happen and you may have to take your horse to the vet. Often horses who don’t lead well, also don’t load well. Thanks for sharing with us.

IP Logged

thomas20

I Love my pets!

Reply #5 - May 16th, 2011 at 7:32am
Print Post  
Usually, a horse will not begin formal training until it is around two years old. However, foals are able to learn how to behave around people from a very early age. It is important to spend as much time as you can with your young horse so it will become used to being around you, and by extension, other people.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.