Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic my dogs sick (Read 2,275 times)
nguyen hiep

I Love my pets!

my dogs sick
Jul 15th, 2010 at 3:38am
Print Post  
he ate a little bit today and seemed like he was doing fine. about an hour ago he started shaking and drooling a little so we got him to drink thinking he was dehydrated. he threw it all up (big mess) hes still shaking but it doesn't seem as bad. hes half st bernard the other half is yellow lab and german shepard. we called the vet and he said he should be okay but im such a mom and still worried. has anyone dealt with this before, what should i do?
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2010 at 1:23pm by Tempest »  

IP Logged

somanykitties
God Member

One can never have too
many cats!

Re: my dogs sick
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 7:54am
Print Post  
I think I would still want to take him to the vet to have him checked out.  It is possible he ate something bad and that is what made him sick, but I cannot see how the vet can say he will be okay when he hasn't seen him.  I don't know, maybe he knows your dogs history really well.  I would be worried too, but I hope he gets better soon.

Within the heart of every stray...lies the singular desire to be loved

IP Logged

Lost_Adonis

Help me to Help you!

Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Just water for 24 hr and light activity then re-evaluate if he is looking better give him some food and see how he does with it. If he is looking worse then take him in to the vet. No matter what keep you vet on speed dial and call him about your dog every time something changes.
Your Vet Knows Best!

IP Logged

Tempest
Forum Administrator

There is none more important
than another.

Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Inability to keep food down, vomiting, drooling, and shaking would have me at the vet's with my dog regardless of what the vet said on the phone.  Vet's don't always know best, esp. when they haven't even examined the animal in distress.

Tempest

IP Logged

mrohrabaugh

I Love my pets!

Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
As soon as my dog couldn't keep food down and was vomiting more then a few times I take her to the vet. To be honest you cannot be to careful. If you and your mom and worried you should definitely take the dog to the vet. Usually vets say to bring them right away so I don't see why this vet would say that the dog will be fine. I hope it all works out and your dog gets better.

IP Logged

Ryleigh7346

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Many years ago we had an airedale that had thrown up and was acting kind of weird. The vet said not to give her any water. My husband had thought she might have eaten some chocolate candy that she might have found in the backyard since Halloween had just past (he had found a wrapper from a candy bar). This was a Wed and by Friday of that week, she was so weak that she could not get up. We rushed her to emergency and they gave her fluids and x-rayed her. Turned out, she had eaten a corn cob that got stuck in her intestines (husband had put up cornstalks for halloween in the frontyard w/corn still on them and squirrels brought them into the backyard). But by that time, it was too late to do surgery and she died. So now anytime I see anything wrong with a dog, I take them in and have an x-ray done just to make sure there's nothing stuck. Hope your dog is feeling better by now.

IP Logged

Lost_Adonis

Help me to Help you!

Reply #6 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Tempest wrote on Jul 20th, 2010 at 1:22pm:
Inability to keep food down, vomiting, drooling, and shaking would have me at the vet's with my dog regardless of what the vet said on the phone.  Vet's don't always know best, esp. when they haven't even examined the animal in distress.

Tempest

Very good point. If you feel you couldn't relay how serious you felt your dogs condition was than by all means take your dog in. Better to error on the side of caution.

IP Logged

AnimalMedicalCare

I Love my pets!

Reply #7 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
As a veterinarian myself, my first two thoughts would be this:

1) It's hard to diagnose a problem over the phone. Examining a pet in person is always more likely to produce an accurate diagnosis.

2) If you feel your pet needs to go to the vet, don't wait on them to "invite you in"...jump in the car and go. Don't feel bad, and don't second guess yourself.

C. Potter, DVM
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2010 at 11:19pm by Tempest »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.