Treat your pet to Omaha Steaks Pet Treats!

Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Smelly tank? (Read 4,187 times)
bell

I Love my pets!

Smelly tank?
May 3rd, 2010 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
I have had my goldfish for over 5years. the last 3 mo. it has gotten an awefull smell. I keep it very clean even 1 day later is is smelly again. I do use a clear water additive that does help for a little bit, does anyone know why or what to do????? I thought it may be a sick fish but they all look healthy!!!! Huh Huh
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2011 at 3:07pm by Pet Discussion »  

IP Logged

Pet Discussion
Forum Administrator

Pet Discussion, because
we speak for our pets!

Re: Smelly tank?
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2010 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Maybe what you have the fish bowl on may smell? Or the fish bowl/tank? Maybe you are using a different fish food?

IP Logged

Judith

I Love my pets!

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Your bowl or tank is probably in need of cleaning. Also, if you have rocks or pebbles at the bottom of the tank, try cleaning them very well. Don't use soap though! If you want to use cleaner head to the pet store and see what they suggest.

IP Logged

kabonm

I Love my pets!

Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2011 at 4:29am
Print Post  
like white tiger most Albino Tiger, tend to be larger both at birth and at full adult size.

IP Logged

Girls Games

I Love my pets!

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 3:39am
Print Post  
I was just wondering how often people change the water in their tanks? Mine seems to smell quite bad but I don't know if this is just normal for a tropical fish tank?? I don't change the water really often but I have got lots of fry to look after now so I am doing it more regularly. Also, I bought a gravel vac the other day because there was so much poo and dirt in the gravel, but when I used it, it stirred it all up and the tank was really clowdy. Are gravel cleaners good and how often should they be used?

IP Logged

Simmelink

I Love my pets!

Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 6:14am
Print Post  
Girls Games wrote on Aug 17th, 2011 at 3:39am:
I was just wondering how often people change the water in their tanks? Mine seems to smell quite bad but I don't know if this is just normal for a tropical fish tank?? I don't change the water really often but I have got lots of fry to look after now so I am doing it more regularly. Also, I bought a gravel vac the other day because there was so much poo and dirt in the gravel, but when I used it, it stirred it all up and the tank was really clowdy. Are gravel cleaners good and how often should they be used?

I use my gravel vac every week when I change about 30% of the water. Sometimes I will do another 30% change during the week but geerally will only gravel vac once a week.

Any less and I think the water would become smelly.

With fry you will have to gravel vac quite often as there is always quite a bit of uneaten food left lying around. I don't have gravel in my fry tank, but i use the gravel vac to simply lift up the uneaten food every 2-3 days and do a small water change. From my experience fry tanks must be treated quite differently from normal tanks when it comes to water changes and gravel vaccing.

IP Logged

HelloKitty_PuppyLuv

I Love my pets!

Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
Do you have a goldfish bowl or a [url="http://www.petco.com/product/113185/Hagen-Fluval-Chi-Aquarium.aspx"]home aquarium[/url] ? Also, how often do you clean it? If you aren't already, please be sure to clean the plants, ornaments and substrate or rocks that are in the tank or bowl. Also, you might not want to have it in direct sunlight. Sunlight is notorious for causing the growth of green algae as well as for heating up the water, so you may want to monitor your tank or bowl's temperature as well. Good luck!!

...Save a life or two.. Adopt a pet! Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.