Treat your pet to Omaha Steaks Pet Treats!

Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic How long will it take to housetrain my puppy? (Read 4,492 times)
Patrick Mooner

I Love Petlv

How long will it take to housetrain my puppy?
Feb 12th, 2010 at 11:59am
Print Post  

What's your guys experience in dog housetraining?

IP Logged

rabbitbuddy

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Re: How long will it take to housetrain my puppy?
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 10:56am
Print Post  
well... All i have to say is patience and cleaning supplies. I will take sometime before your puppy is completely house trained. When i train my dog (it took me about six months) i have to keep him in a certain area of the house while he was being trained if not he'll have accidents allover the house, and I'm sure you don't want that. There are different techniques you can use...what we did is to take him out in regular schedule...for example first thing in the morning, then lunch and in between. That way he'll get used to the routine and do the same thing with his feeding. Feed in in a regular schedule and take him out right after. Always remember to reward him that way he'll learn that what he did is the right thing to do. Have fun and congrats on your Puppy:)

IP Logged

levenshugh

I Love my pets!

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 8:22am
Print Post  
Thanks for the response, it was very helpful. We crate our puppy during the day for 4 hours at a time and then take him out every hour for the remainder of the evening. My concern is that he doesn't understand that it's bad to go to the bathroom inside. We praise him when he goes outside and scold him when he goes inside but nothing seems to register. He also always pees in his crate.

« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2010 at 9:08am by levenshugh »  

IP Logged

MissSapphire

I Love my pets!

Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
It took some time, but it mostly depends on what would you like to obtain and how is your dog accepting the idea. You should start training it starting from the moment it learned its name or from 4-6 weeks. You should start with the most simple commands and teach it without any longer break so it could repeat it all the time. While repeating you can include harder and harder commends until it can do it. It may take a year to raise a good behaved dog in my opinion. Success! Smiley

IP Logged

healy

I Love my pets!

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2010 at 2:43am
Print Post  
I've house-trained a border collie in as little as 6 weeks, and chihuahuas in about 5 or 6 months. Yes, it does depend on the breed. The chi's aren't as submissive as the border collie was. And once the older dogs are trained, they train the younger. The younger follow what they do.

IP Logged

Minerva Yates

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
About 5 months. Start earlier too. I suggest you give extra time if you really want your dog to learn.

Free Drug Card for Pets
Save money on prescriptions for your pet!
Best of all the card is FREE!
www.thefreedrugcardsiteforpets.com
IP Logged

AlvinCampbell

I Love my pets!

Reply #6 - May 17th, 2011 at 5:57am
Print Post  
We did is to take him out in regular schedule...for example first thing in the morning, then lunch and in between. That way he'll get used to the routine and do the same thing with his feeding. It without any longer break so it could repeat it all the time. While repeating you can include harder and harder commends until it can do it.

IP Logged

bugs

I Love my pets!

Reply #7 - May 18th, 2011 at 3:31am
Print Post  
It sometimes will depend on the breed of your dog. As well as the amount of time you spend with your animal whether its during training, play time or just being near them. The more time you spend with your pup, the more obedient he/she will become. The best tips I have for training are treats! And since you will need many of these in the beginning or training, try to choose the healthiest ones you can. Punishment ONLY when you catch your pup in the act. Otherwise, don't say a word and just clean up. No punishment to hard though, maybe a time out or a little tap on the butt. Anything too harsh, and he will become afraid of you. It could take a long time or a short time. You can never tell. My 3 year old Shih Tzu still has accidents. And my 1 year old Yorkshire, he's improving but still makes accidents daily. Its tough work!  Undecided

IP Logged

kzhen8

I Love my pets!

Reply #8 - Sep 1st, 2011 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
All breeds are different, some take longer than others but it also depends on your puppy too. My boyfriend and brother both has a puppy each who are sisters and my puppy is very quick in learning new tricks, but she always misses the wee wee pad. The best thing to do is to be patient, get a load of pee odor and stain remover. Wish you all the best!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.