Treat your pet to Omaha Steaks Pet Treats!

Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Fish health help please (Read 2,481 times)
ErinK

Goal: to not kill my tetras

Fish health help please
Oct 17th, 2009 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
I have two neon tetras in a 5 gallon tank. One of them has some stuff on his scales and his tail is a little ragged. The nitrates and nitrites have been high so i performed a 20% water change and added to small live plants in an effort to get it down. MY sister has some tetracycline fish antibiotic should I use this to make him better?
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2009 at 10:14pm by ErinK »  

IP Logged

somanykitties
God Member

One can never have too
many cats!

Re: Fish health help please
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2009 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Sorry I didn't see your post until today.  When the nitrates and nitrites are high you need to go to you local tropical fish store and get some stuff to put in to bring them down.  Also don't feed them for several days.  Sometimes over feeding leaves extra food on the bottom and that brings them up.  You tank needs to be treated and it wouldn't hurt to put medication in the tank too.  You may have fin and tail rot with the tail being ragged and if the stuff on the scales is white it is probably Ick.  Read the antibiotic your sister has and see what it takes care of.  It won't hurt to put that in.  But also take a water sample to your fish store and let them tell you what you need to bring all your levels back to normal.  I hope this gets to you before you have perhaps lost your tetras.   Sad

Within the heart of every stray...lies the singular desire to be loved

IP Logged

AlvinCampbell

I Love my pets!

Re: Fish health help please
Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2011 at 7:58am
Print Post  
I have a brand new 20gallon fish tank that I bought today; I used Nutrafin cycle and Tetra Aqua safe in the tank. My fish are doing very well health wise, but relations wise am terrified. I originally had a  sunburst platy and named sunrise and a gold gourami in a five gallon tank that I transferred over to the new tank today, but I also added several new tank mates. I added a Sucker mouth catfish that sleeps with my platy oddly enough and two new gouramis. Both new gouramis are opaline but one is a male and one is a female. The females color has faded slightly I believe due to stress because all reading temp everything are clear in my tank. The male is very timid and follows her around, but my Gold gourami went from being loveable and sweet to aggressive towards both new gouramis. He chases the girl into hiding a lot and the male he tries to start fights with but the opaline male backs down and hides. Will he settle down or will he end up killing my opaline male. I need to know because I have a home for my male opal line if he doesnít work out. Iím just glad my platy gets along with everyone. Thank you .

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.