Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) euthanize (Read 6,005 times)
lazystevie

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Re: euthanize
Reply #15 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Another update
It is now 2:00PM and Laser has eaten about 4 times since 8:00AM.  What a relief.

IP Logged

somanykitties
God Member

One can never have too
many cats!

Reply #16 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
I haven't posted anything but just wanted to say how happy I am to read that Laser is doing so much better.  I have been following all your and Tempest's posts.  Tempest knows so much and is so very helpful.  I know how much I appreciated all her help and suggestions when my Skittles was so sick.  Again, congrats on your success and I hope Laser won't have anymore problems in the pooh department.   Smiley

Within the heart of every stray...lies the singular desire to be loved

IP Logged

lazystevie

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Reply #17 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Well today is Friday Aug 7th, and I have completely eliminated hard food from Laser's diet.  He has been eating really well, since yesterday but he misses the hard food, so I have been giving him more of the wet food and he is so pesty about it I know he just wants the hard stuff, but no more.  The less hard food the better for him.  He needs all the water he can get, but I must say he has improved greatly.  I am also happy to report I got the kitchen rug shampooed and last night Laser got the dreaded butt wash.  All is well.

Thanks again for all the support and suggestions.  I really appreciated them.

IP Logged

Tempest
Forum Administrator

There is none more important
than another.

Reply #18 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Sounds like you are doing all the right things for Laser and that he is responding well to it.  Such a relief for you both, I'm sure.

Keep up the good caretaking!

Tempest

IP Logged

Cindee

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Psyllium with Miralax
Reply #19 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Tempest,

Thanks for providing so much valuable information.

I have a CRF cat and just lately she's been having big dry poops.  I've been giving her 1/2 tsp of baby food squash with each meal (3/day) and it seems like it may be too much bulk.  I used to give her psyllium but switched to squash because it seemed more natural.  

Just two days ago, I switched back to psyllium and sure enough, the poop literally slid out of her last night.  However, it was still very dry.  I started her on Miralax today and was fortunate enough to read your post that mentioned using both psyllium and Miralax.  I normally will mix 1-500 mg Psyllium capsule with 2 tablespoons of water and let it sit until it forms a gel, then mix 2 tsp with her food (3/day).  She always did well on this amount but I’m a bit apprehensive about giving her both the psyllium and Miralax.  In your opinion,  how much and how often would you give her the psyllium?  

Cindee

Lazystevie…so glad to hear that Lazer is doing better.   Smiley

IP Logged

Tempest
Forum Administrator

There is none more important
than another.

Reply #20 - Aug 18th, 2009 at 1:07am
Print Post  
Cindee,

Psyllium (or any form of fibre) works in a very different manner than Miralax.  Fibre bulks up the stool so that it passes more efficiently through the colon.  Miralax holds moisture in the stool to soften it.  The two can work together or separately to help resolve constipation.  Either strategy requires that the cat takes in sufficient fluid to make it work.  If the cat is even slightly dehydrated, as is often the case in CRF cats, both fibre and Miralax can make matters worse.  The most critical step in resolving and preventing constipation is to make sure that the cat is properly hydrated at all times.  If your cat is in early stage CRF with a creatinine below 3.0, she may or may not be able to keep herself adequately hydrated with oral intake of water alone.  If she can not or will not drink enough to maintain hydration, or if her creat is over 3.0, she may benefit from regular subQ fluid administration.  Chronic constipation is one indicator that she probably is not maintaining adequate hydration on her own.

I tend to check Tanya's CRF Info Centre site for dosing guidelines.  You can read the recommendations for both psyllium and Miralax use at the following link:

http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#constipation

All the best to you and your girl.

Tempest

IP Logged

sunday753

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Reply #21 - Aug 22nd, 2009 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Sometimes it will be the most suitable way for the pet.
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2009 at 3:25pm by Tempest »  

pet themed gifts&&Ai Qi Gifts Co., Ltd.&&http://www.aiqigifts.com/

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.