Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) euthanize (Read 7,018 times)
lazystevie

I Love PetDiscussion.com

euthanize
Aug 4th, 2009 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
When does an owner decide enough is enough.  We have 2 cats, one is Sidney whom we got last year after a horrible ordeal with Stevie,  I believe it was June 5th of last year.  It was a very sad incident.  You can probably find it under my user name pg 16.
Our other cat Laser is a black domestic long hair.  About 3 years ago he developed mega colon.  The vet had him on 3 different meds but none really helped all that much, he still suffered.  The cost just got to be so unbearable we started giving him enemas here at home which helped greatly, messy, but they helped.   When it was time for his yearly checkup last June we told the vet we were giving him the enemas and she had no problem and understood that the cost was just too much, it was like $300.00 every time he ended up there and we could not get insu for a pre existing condition.  OK at that visit she suggested starting him on Metamucil (fiber sure).  All of a sudden this cat was back to normal.  He was having bm's every other day.  Things were great.  He got a clean bill of health this past June, then the problems started again.  I noticed when Metamucil changed the design on the canister of fiber, that was when I noticed he was no longer going like he was.  He was dropping little turds mostly in the finished basement and not in the litter box.  I just find it strange that his problem surfaced the same time the label changed.  I can't buy anything else because other products are flavored.  Last night I dissolved some fiber in some warm water and gave it to him with a baby medicine dropper.  He threw it all up.   I've tried decreasing the amount of dry food he eats and mainly give him the wet stuff with water and fiber.  I really don't know what else I can do to help him.  When do you call it quits?  I know he cannot be at all comfortable.

IP Logged

Tempest
Forum Administrator

There is none more important
than another.

Re: euthanize
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2009 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
You should be able to purchase unflavored psyllium (same ingredient as Metamucil) at most health food stores.  You can also try canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling - just plain canned pumpkin), which is high-fibre and often useful for bulking up and softening stool in cats.

Have you tried a stool softener in conjunction with fibre?  If not, you might consider trying Miralax.  Many folks, including myself, use it with our CRF cats who are prone to constipation.  I give my cat a heaping 1/8 tsp twice daily.  It is an essentially tasteless, crystalline powder available OTC at any drug store which can be easily mixed into food or with water.  It is a dose-to-effect drug, so start with a low dose and increase gradually until the stool is the proper consistency.

Canned food is definitely the way to go.  The more fluid in your cat's system, the more moist his stool will be. Dry food has a dehydrating effect in the bowel, and your cat certainly does NOT need that!

You're not out of options yet.  Hang in there.

Tempest

IP Logged

Tempest
Forum Administrator

than another.

Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2009 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Here is more information that may help you with treatment options for your cat:

http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#constipation

At that link, keep reading down through the section titled, "Constipation Cautions".

If you decide to add Methylcobalamin to your cat's treatment protocol, you should also supplement Folic Acid because the two work in combination (both are B vitamins).  One suggested daily dose is 500 mcg methylcobalamin and 100 mcg folic acid, though you should run this past your vet first.  You can purchase folic acid at any drug store, but methylcobalamin might be a little harder to find (check your local health food stores).  If you can't find it locally, you can purchase it online here:

http://search.healthdesigns.com/index?Ne=1000011&Ntt=methylcobalamin&N=429496710...

Tempest

IP Logged

lazystevie

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2009 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Thank you tempest for your valuable information on treating my cat.  Since I first started this topic he did leave two small turds about the size of a large grape in the litter box but I believe there is much more in there.  I did not know you could use Miralax on a cat.  As for your other suggestions of Lactulose, he was also on Cisapride and one more which I cannot remember at this time. I do know the Cisapride had to be ordered from Phoenix, I live in PA and I do believe he became immune to them as they all stopped working after some time.  He refused the pumpkin, and I do have some Miralax here as I myself recently went through a bout of constipation.  About how long will this take to work on him?  I believe the bottle says 1 to 3 days.  If I give him the Miralax do I still keep giving him the fiber with all his meals.  Do you recommend the unflavored psyllium over the Metamucil?  Sorry for all the questions but I am getting desperate.  I did give him some warm tap water earlier about 2 tsps, this is how I will give the Miralax.  Wish me luck, I'll keep you posted.  You also mentioned a stool softner.  Any particular one, and OTC variety, if so how much?  Also what does CRF stand for?

IP Logged

Tempest
Forum Administrator

than another.

Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2009 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
lazystevie wrote on Aug 4th, 2009 at 4:01pm:
Since I first started this topic he did leave two small turds about the size of a large grape in the litter box but I believe there is much more in there.

Even if you give fibre and/or stool softener now, it won't affect the constipated stool that is already formed inside him.  It will be necessary for you to help him eliminate that constipated stool, perhaps with another enema.  Just be sure to use an enema that is formulated for use in cats.  Some human enemas contain ingredients that are highly toxic to cats.

AFTER Laser has passed the constipated stool, fibre and/or stool softener should help him produce new stool that will pass easily through his colon. 

Quote:
I did not know you could use Miralax on a cat.

Yes indeedy, and quite effectively! You can read all about its use in cats on the CRF (Chronic Renal Failure) website I linked for you in my last response.   I have been giving my CRF cat, Billy, Miralax twice daily for over a year, and it has been keeping his stool at a proper, comfortable consistency for him.

Quote:
he was also on Cisapride and one more which I cannot remember at this time. I do know the Cisapride had to be ordered from Phoenix, I live in PA and I do believe he became immune to them as they all stopped working after some time.

It's unfortunate that the Cisapride stopped working for him, but since there are some concerns with the effects that drug may have on the heart, it may be just as well that Laser is no longer taking it.

Quote:
He refused the pumpkin

Try mixing just 1/2 tsp. of it into his canned food and see if he'll eat it that way.  If he still refuses to touch it, try mixing in a little baby food peas, instead.  Both peas and pumpkin are high-fibre foods that should help bulk up and normalize Laser's stool.

Quote:
About how long will this take to work on him?

If I remember correctly, I think it took 2-3 days for Miralax to take effect on Billy.

Quote:
If I give him the Miralax do I still keep giving him the fiber with all his meals.

I would.  They work in different ways in the gut, and both should assist in resolving his constipation.

Quote:
Do you recommend the unflavored psyllium over the Metamucil?

It's six of one, half dozen of the other.  They're both psyllium.

Quote:
I did give him some warm tap water earlier about 2 tsps, this is how I will give the Miralax.  

That's a good strategy because it's very important to get as much fluid into Laser as possible.  I suspect that he is at least somewhat dehydrated (often goes hand in hand with constipation).  The more fluid he takes in, the more moist his stool will be.  That's why it's also much better for him to be eating canned food than dry.  Better yet, mix warm water into his canned food to make it a sloppy gruel that he can lap up.  Also, put extra water bowls around the house to make it easier for him to take a few laps as he wanders around.

BTW, how old is Laser, and when was the last time he had a full blood chemistry done?  Did anything of concern show up in his last bloodwork?

Quote:
You also mentioned a stool softner.

Miralax is a stool softener, just as is Lactulose.  Lactulose, however, is VERY messy to administer, and it must be acquired through a vet or by prescription.  Miralax, as you know, is available OTC, and it's easy to mix into food or water.

Good luck and please do keep me updated!

Tempest

IP Logged

lazystevie

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2009 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Thank you so much for answering all my questions.  We just gave him an enema, it went rather well.  Hope we see some results.  I also just fed him about 20 min ago and gave him 1/8 tsp Miralax and some extra water with it.  God I hope this helps.  I will keep you posted.  Again, thank you.
Laser just turned 10 this past June.  They did not even think he'd make it to 5 because of a heart murmur.
I realize his days are numbered but if I can ease the suffering of constipation I will try anything.

IP Logged

lazystevie

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Reply #6 - Aug 4th, 2009 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
OK it's been about an hour and a half since the enema and he has given us about 8 nuggets about 1 and 1/2"  in size so I would say that was pretty good.  They were not at all hard so maybe he wasn't as blocked as I thought, but he hasn't gone in days, just little grape like sizes.   He still isn't himself, he just threw up some water that I had given him.  He is still trying to go so I think it might take the rest of the night to work through.  I hope I never have to do this again.  He has been confined to the kitchen, it is very humid out and boy does it stink in here, but I'll take it, as long as he feels better.
I'll check in tomorrow and let you know his progress.

IP Logged

lazystevie

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Reply #7 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Well I woke up about 7:00AM to Laser growling at Sidney (he is the younger cat).  They were both in the bedroom.  I knew he was there by the smell, boy does he need a bath, he look like himself, didn't looked stressed out like last night.   Anyway, there was nothing more in the litter box and he did not come into the kitchen to eat.  He did eat last night I usually feed them around 10:30/11:00 before I go to bed.  Hopefully this is only an upset stomach from everything he's been through.  I will let you know what happens.

IP Logged

Tempest
Forum Administrator

than another.

Reply #8 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 10:59am
Print Post  
If you've ever had an enema, you know how sick they can make you feel.  I'm not surprised that Laser isn't interested in eating right now.  Just make sure he eats sometime today or tonight.

Hopefully now that his system is apparently clear, the Miralax and pumpkin or peas or psyllium will help keep his stool easier for him to pass on his own.  Have you considered adding the B vitamins, Methylcobalamin and Folic Acid to his daily regimen, as well?  Can't hurt and might just help.

Tempest

IP Logged

lazystevie

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Reply #9 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
He is really a difficult cat to give any kind of medicine to.  We went through he** when they put him on some kind of heart pill for the murmur, and eventually gave it up.  I do believe he is hiding under the bed.  I will try to get him out later as I was shampooing the rug in the kitchen and it was quite noisy.  Keep ya posted

IP Logged

Tempest
Forum Administrator

than another.

Reply #10 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
You can buy the B vits in liquid or capsule form that you could mix directly into his food.  He should eat it that way with no pilling involved.

Tempest

IP Logged

lazystevie

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Reply #11 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Are these the same vitamins people take and what would the dosage be?  I did manage to half crawl under the bed and I gave him about 1/2 slice of the Hillshire Farm thinly sliced lunch meat (oven roasted turkey).  A short while later he came out from under the bed, jumped up on the bed and was scratching on the bed like he was in a litter box, so I picked him up, ran him into the kitchen into the litter box and he went, then 10 min. later he went again on the kitchen floor, I guess he still isn't emptied out yet.  Slowly but we are making progress.  Everything he has unloaded has been quite moist.  I did offer some of his own canned food but he did not want that.  I do believe he is back under the bed.  Keep ya posted, thank you so much for your concern.
I did want to mention in my previous post about how rotten you feel after an enema, I can remember when I was a little girl, I use to see my mom coming with one and I would run and hide just to avoid it, but I never made it too far.  I hated those things, and that is going back a long time.

IP Logged

Tempest
Forum Administrator

than another.

Reply #12 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Yes, these are the same B vits that people take, but they are the specific B vits (methylcobalamin and folic acid) that I mentioned in my earlier reply on this thread.  Read back and you will find a link to the website where I purchase methylcobalamin.  I buy Folic Acid at a local drug store.

The methylcobalamin I buy comes in 1000 mcg capsules, so I give Billy 1/2 of a capsule (500 mcg) daily with food.  The folic acid I buy is 800 mcg tablets. I give Billy 1/8 tablet (100 mcg) daily with the same meal as the methylcobalamin.  B vits must be given with or immediately following a meal to avoid digestive upset.  If you're going to try to cut a tablet into small portions, you should buy a pill cutter (they're cheap and can be purchased at any drug store).

Tempest

IP Logged

lazystevie

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Reply #13 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the reply.  I think for now I will stick to the Miralax and Metamucil and see how that works out.  I have to get some food in him and he needs a butt wash, that should be fun.  Again thank you

IP Logged

lazystevie

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Reply #14 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Update on Laser
He was under the bed well after I went to bed last night.  He refused to eat anything.  I left a small bowl of food there for him if he wanted it.  It was empty this morning but I think our other cat Sidney ate it, he is always trying to take Laser's food.  Anyway when I came in the kitchen this morning there was Laser he came running over to me waiting to be fed.  He ate a good bit and the litter box looks like it has a good bit in it.  Hopefully this is it on the enemas for Laser.  The last one he got was 15 months ago, but maybe a combination of the Metamucil and Miralax will help him.  All he needs now is a butt bath.  Thank you so much for all your help and understanding, it is greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.