Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 11 week old puppy pees on floor ALL the time (Read 1,203 times)
princies_mom

I Love PetDiscussion.com

11 week old puppy pees on floor ALL the time
Apr 26th, 2009 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
I have an 11 week?? old puppy I adopted a week ago. We are trying to house break her and must be doing something wrong. We take her outside at least once an hour, she will pee a little or more, go into the house, run around, take a quick drink, and PRESTO squats on the floor. We are crating her at night and a few times her bedding was wet, a few times not. We reward her with kibbles when she pees outside and today I thought I would let her be in the main part of the house and keep an eye on her. She has been in the laundry room for a week. I thougth giving her some freedom she would not be so inclined to pee all the time, we also have a12 yr old male dog who is being remarkably tolerant of her and has NOT peed on the floor. She has peed on the carpet and floor 4 times already, this, after being outside and running around most of the day.
WHAT ARE WE DOING WRONG???!! I don't by any stretch of the imagination expect her to be housebroken already but I thought maybe she might get a hint of what to do.
She was in a foster home with 2 siblings and kept in a shed day and night. Might this be part of the problem???
We need HELP!! this is my 3rd dog, we'e been through this before but not like this!

IP Logged

Tempest
Forum Administrator

There is none more important
than another.

Re: 11 week old puppy pees on floor ALL the time
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2009 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Puppies, like human children, develop physically at different rates.  Just like some children wet their beds because their bladder control is slower to develop, some puppies urinate frequently because their bladder control is slower to develop.  Your puppy is peeing in the house because she just can't control her bladder yet.  She'll outgrow the problem, but in the meantime you're going to have to take her outside much more often.  In my experience, young puppies often need to pee immediately after waking from a nap, immediately after eating or drinking, and immediately after vigorous play.  You may find that you have to take your little girl outside as often as every 15 mins ... maybe even more often ... until her body develops a bit more.

The fact that she was raised in a shed where she had no choice but to mess in her own living environment isn't helping matters, either, but it's encouraging that she is willing to eliminate outside.  All you have to do now is take her outside so often that she doesn't have anything left in her to eliminate inside.  And give her high praise and treats every time she eliminates outside.  Make sure she KNOWS that outside is a VERY good place to pee!  When she pees inside, don't scold her.  Just quietly clean it up and make sure you take her outside more frequently next time.

Since your baby can't yet control her bladder, you should not be allowing her to wander around your house at will.  She should be leashed to you anytime she is not in her crate.  That way you can keep a close eye on her and take her ouside the instant she gives indication that she needs to go.  Remember, this won't last forever.  She will only need this sort of close supervision until her bladder matures to a point of decent control.

Remember that this is not something she is doing willfully.  She can't help it.  When she has to go, she goes.  It's your job to make sure you get her outside in time to go in the right place.

Good luck!

Tempest

IP Logged

princies_mom

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2009 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Thanks, I will try to take her out more often. I was going by what the puppy books said about1hour for every month plus 1 hour more. I haven't had to train a puppy in 13 yrs, and all dogs are different. She's a great little girl and I'm happy to say our vet checked her out thoroughly and she is very healthy. Part of the problem could be that she is not as old as some people thought. Either way there is no danger of my getting rid of her she has already won all of our hearts!

IP Logged

Tiffer1981
God Member

Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 9:58am
Print Post  
There's really no more advice to give, Tempest has already said it all.  But I wanted to wish you good luck!

AIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.