Treat your pet to Omaha Steaks Pet Treats!

Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic This might be a stupid question, but... (Read 3,235 times)
SharonToggle

I Love PetDiscussion.com

This might be a stupid question, but...
Apr 4th, 2009 at 12:11am
Print Post  
This is really the first time I've had a fish since I was about five, so I apologize for my ignorance and humbly ask all of your advice.  Smiley

My roommate and I just won four little goldfish at a fair (like, really little.  The biggest isn't even two inches long).  We've got them swimming in a big clear vase right now and they seem healthy and energetic.

Unfortunately we're poor college students without the means to get to a pet store or the money to buy them proper fish food or a tank.  We smashed up a couple of lima beans earlier and fed them that; they seemed to really enjoy them.  We plan to change their water every two days at least.

We'd like to keep them alive for as long as possible.  Would a diet of lima beans and/or other small pieces of vegetables be okay for them?  We also cook Japanese food fairly often, so we have aonori (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aonori) on hand and could feed them that instead if it would be better for them.  Is there anything else we should keep in mind while raising them?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give, and please forgive my ignorance.

IP Logged

somanykitties
God Member

One can never have too
many cats!

Re: This might be a stupid question, but...
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
If your big vase is big enough they should be okay for a while.  Most of them live in little fish bowls anyway.  I don't know about giving them lima beans and other small veggies.  You may want to check online about proper food for gold fish.  I have a fish tank (no gold fish though) and really, fish food is not that expensive.  I pay about 7 bucks for a big container and I have seen the smaller ones for only a couple of dollars.  Our tank is a 46 gallon tank and I only have to buy food for them about once every 3 to 4 months.  They only need to be fed once a day and can even be fed every other day.  Call a local fish store, not just a pet store, and ask for their advice.  We have a tropical fish store here where I live and they have been most helpful with every question we have had.  Also ask about water changes.  I have been told that gold fish poop a lot so you do want to make sure you keep their environment clean so the water doesn't become toxic.  I wish you great success on raising the fishies. By the way, what did you guys name them?

Within the heart of every stray...lies the singular desire to be loved

IP Logged

evanhog

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 3:38am
Print Post  
Even if u keep them in small vase if you give aeration then no problem they will survive. Goldfishes have the habit to eat more. only we should restrict them. since fish food are very cheap you can easily get it with your pocket money. when using proper fish food even if u feed them once daily will do.

IP Logged

MelissaPenguin

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
A small vase should be just fine for the timing being.
If you are lucky enough to keep them for an extended period of time, they will need a bigger thank.
I would change the tank about once a week - many cities have a lot of chlorine and other contaminates in their water, that too much of will often kill a fish. Goldfish tend to me fairly hardly, so you should be okay with a dechlorinator. If you can, I would suggest some though. A small bottle is $2-$3 at most petstores.

As for the food, I'm not sure about a strict vegetable diet, but Goldfish do normally eat lettuce, cucumbers, ect. I would suggest doing a little research.

And Goldfish WILL over feed themselves. They don't know when to stop, so monitor their diet. Only feed what they can eat in about 5minutes, and remove the rest if possible.

IP Logged

bluebarry
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
I agree with MelissaPenguin
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2009 at 1:14am by Tempest »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.