Treat your pet to Omaha Steaks Pet Treats!

Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Single cocatiel laying eggs (Read 4,791 times)
mytwodogs

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Single cocatiel laying eggs
Jan 6th, 2008 at 11:53am
Print Post  
My pretty bird (her name) lays eggs several times a year, she has no partner I let her sit on the eggs for a few weeks and then throw them out. They have a yolk just like a normal egg. Does anybody else have a bird that lay's eggs? If so how long should I let her sit on them? I can alway's tell that she is going to lay eggs as she starts screaming. I bet it must hurt as they are not that small.

IP Logged

mytwodogs

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Re: Single cocatiel laying eggs
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Is there anyone out there that can give me a responce to my question???? Cry

IP Logged

youbetcha1018

Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Absolutely. A female, just like a chicken, will lay eggs whether she has a mate or not. The eggs will obviously not be fertile. It does happen, but not to all females.

IP Logged

somanykitties
God Member

One can never have too
many cats!

Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
My mom had a cocatiel that laid a few eggs and then her uterus muscles became weak and it prolapsed.  She ended up passing away because of that.  I think her case was not common though because female birds, like hens, lay eggs all the time without a mate.  Check with your vet or go online to find out more information.   If she has been doing this for some time, she is most likely ok but I would ask your vet anyway to be sure.

Within the heart of every stray...lies the singular desire to be loved

IP Logged

jezzicaz789

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2010 at 1:57am
Print Post  
mytwodogs wrote on Jan 6th, 2008 at 11:53am:
My pretty bird (her name) lays eggs several times a year, she has no partner I let her sit on the eggs for a few weeks and then throw them out. They have a yolk just like a normal egg. Does anybody else have a bird that lay's eggs? If so how long should I let her sit on them? I can alway's tell that she is going to lay eggs as she starts screaming. I bet it must hurt as they are not that small.

Hi , I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2010 at 12:58am by Tempest »  

IP Logged

HelloKitty_PuppyLuv

I Love my pets!

Reply #5 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Yes, unfortunately it is relatively common for female cockatiels (that are within age) to lay unfertilized eggs. And just as others have stated, this can lead to severe or chronic conditions that can even be fatal at times. My father's pet cockatiel (Charlize) does it upon occasion and it breaks my heart to see her struggling in such discomfort.. My father always makes sure to give her an extra bowl of water for her to lay the eggs in.. I know that it sounds weird and I'm not exactly sure what it does for her or if it even helps, but I have noticed that she uses it especially when she's really struggling. If you see your girl really struggling, you might want to take her in to see her avian vet... good luck and best wishes Wink

...Save a life or two.. Adopt a pet! Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.