Treat your pet to Omaha Steaks Pet Treats!

Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic parrot fish? (Read 5,184 times)
Canko
Ex Member

parrot fish?
Dec 31st, 2007 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
I just inherited 2 parrot fish, a silver dollar and a pleco in a 65 gallon  tank. Does anyone have any knowledge of this mixture? I here they are all aggressive and not to add any other fish to them, unless I plan on moving the new fish.  Any Help??

IP Logged

Sasami

Fish Geek :3

Re: parrot fish?
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2008 at 2:10am
Print Post  
I assume you mean the hybrid Parrot Cichlids, first of all. If not then please correct me. Those are the funny looking guys (IMO, haha).

Luckily the fish you listed are good tankmates. I would actually get more Silver Dollars if possible since they are really schooling fish that do best in groups.

Other then that I wouldn't add anything...at least not for now. If the tank had been torn down and set up again at your house then the cycle might be shaky. You've lost a lot of beneficial bacteria in the move. So if you add Silver Dollars then add a couple at a time.

What sort of filtration are you running? You have some messy fish so they need a good filter to thrive. Keep up on water changes too.

Also, the Pleco should have his diet supplemented with sinking wafers and vegetables (Cucumber and Zucchini are favorites). In case you didn't know Wink. A lot of people don't.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Canko
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2008 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Hey, Thanks for the info. I am noticing they are messy fish, And that I probably need a better filteration system. I have a Pegiun bio wheel 200. Hows that? An for the silver dollar, I cannot find big silver dollars like the one that is in there. I heard if you add smaller fish,  those are the ones that are usually picked on. What do you think???

IP Logged

Sasami

Fish Geek :3

Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
I haven't been online because of computer problems and you probably don't even come here any more. Sorry about that. In case you do pop back on...

The filter is ok but I would add a second one, personally. Another HOB filter of the same size is fine. Or you could go with a canister filter...Eheim and Fluval filters are nice.

I haven't heard that about the Silver Dollars but I don't personally keep them. I would imagine that they'd be fine unless maybe they're babies.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Canko
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2008 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Hey thanks for getting back to me. The fish are doing well, I added 2 of my large angels in there with them. I am still doing some reserch on the canister filters, have you used them befor? They seem big and bulky.

IP Logged

Ari_D

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Hi there, Parrot fish are one of your more aggresive fish.  These fish can go quite large and so can your silver dollar.  It sounds like these fish have been tankmates for quite a while and are co-habitating quite nicely.  The general rule of thumb for aquariums is one inch of fish per gallon.  So keep that in mind... along with the growth of your current fish when you are looking to purchase more.  Aggresive type fish I would give more room.  They need there space.  And also keep in mind, although these guys are considered aggresive, there are other breeds of fish that are MORE aggresive.  You can't just put any fish in with these guys though and you can't totally rely on your pet stores for information on what fish types work well in a community.  Your pet store clerk or manager should be asking you a ton of questions about your set up and what you have already.  Your best bet is to do some research on your own... or for that matter if you do go to a pet store look to see if they have some Parrot fish in stock.  Many pet stores will have other fish in that tank with them to give you an idea of what other fish will co-habitate with them.  A Plecostamus can grow quite large in the right environment and they basically keep to themselves so I would imagine he would be fine.  Happy fishing with your new inheritance!  Smiley

IP Logged

sandy2008

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 3:27am
Print Post  
Parrot fish are named for their oral dentition; their numerous teeth are arranged in a tightly packed mosaic on the external surface of the jaw bones, forming a parrot-like beak which is used to rasp algae from coral and other rocky substrates. Parrot fish are mostly tropical, perciform marine fish of the family Scaridae.
==========================================================
Sandy
Our  mission is to provide high quality end to end solutions to the BPO segment in a manner that will improve the operational efficiency while reducing the cost of the services to the client.
4thdimension1@gmail.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.