Treat your pet to Omaha Steaks Pet Treats!

Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Slow moving horse (Read 5,437 times)
Canko
Ex Member

Slow moving horse
Nov 11th, 2007 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
I just had a question about my neighbors horse. I have just noticed a couple of days ago that she is moving alot slower. Does horses metablism slow down in the winter or is something wrong with her?

IP Logged

Tempest
Forum Administrator

There is none more important
than another.

Re: Slow moving horse
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 11:01am
Print Post  
Under what circumstances is she moving slower (in a pasture, under saddle, at which gaits), and what is her current condition (age, pregnant or not, exercised regularly or sedentary, sound or lame)?  Without more specific information, it's difficult to even begin to speculate.

Tempest

IP Logged

Canko
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
The horse is in a small farm in Ohio.  They donot exercise her much at all. The  only exercise the horse gets is from walking around the yard.I feed it apples and carrots by the fence, and she use to gallop over to me. Now with in The last couple of weeks she just walks over very slowly.I am just concerned that she isnt getting the proper care.

IP Logged

Tempest
Forum Administrator

There is none more important
than another.

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 8:39am
Print Post  
It's nice of you to be concerned about your neighbor's horse, but there simply isn't enough information in your posts for me to have any idea what might be going on with the animal.  It could be nothing at all, or it could be something a vet should look at.

Have you considered voicing your concerns to the horse's owners?  Let them know that you have noticed a significant change in the horse's behavior and activity level lately, and you're worried that there might be something wrong.  The owners may not even be aware that the horse is acting differently, so your comments may prompt them to pay closer attention to her.

I'm sorry that I can't offer any more specific advice than that.

Tempest

IP Logged

thomas20

I Love my pets!

Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2011 at 2:02am
Print Post  
The best way to learn to drive a horse drawn vehicle is with an experienced coach or instructor. The feel on the reins and the cues you will need direct to your horse while driving are different from riding. An instructor can teach you to handle reins and whip, how to stop and turn safely and coach you through transitions of pace and going up and down hills.

IP Logged

AlvinCampbell

I Love my pets!

Reply #5 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 12:53am
Print Post  
I feed it apples and carrots by the fence, and she use to gallop over to me. Now with in The last couple of weeks she just walks over very slowly. It could be nothing at all, or it could be something a vet should look at. The feel on the reins and the cues you will need direct to your horse while driving are different from riding. Thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.