Treat your pet to Omaha Steaks Pet Treats!

Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) the best place for an aquarium (Read 7,209 times)
pet_portrait

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

the best place for an aquarium
Sep 10th, 2007 at 3:25am
Print Post  
Hello everyone!

I'm presently keeping a small goldfish which I bought some time ago from a friend.  I put the aquarium near a fish portrait hung near a window in our living room.  Since it's my first time to keep a fish as a pet, I don't know where to put it.

Is this a good place for my aquarium?  Does sunlight affect growth and life of a fish?  What about air?  
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2009 at 2:58pm by Tempest »  

IP Logged

dragonfly20
Ex Member

Re: the best place for an aquarium
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2007 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Congrats on your new fish!  I would definitely keep the fish out of direct sunlight.  The heat from the light could increase the temperature of the water too much and kill the fish.   So putting his tank in front of the window isn't a good idea.  Other than that, as long as it's in a stable place that can't get knocked over, it should be fine.   As far as air goes, fish live longer with air pumps in them, so if you don't have a tank equipped with one, you may want to think about getting one.   Goldfish produce a lot of waste also, so you'll want to make sure the tank is large enough.  something too small will not only affect growth, but will also get polluted and toxic really quickly, making him more susceptible to illness.   I hope this helps!  I'm not a fish expert, but i've had a few in my day Smiley.  For more expert info, someone who really knows a lot about this stuff would be able to give your more details.  I hope you enjoy your fish!

IP Logged

Bibi
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2007 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Plus, natural sunlight will contribute to algae growth in the aquarium.   You will also need a filter to clean the water and a heater with a thermostat.  And make sure the fish sleeps at least 10 hours a day and that you don't feed it too much (most fish die from lack of sleep and overfeeding).

IP Logged

adriean

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: how much to feed goldfish
Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2008 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
CheesyHow much food should goldfish be fed, especially when they are huge and how long should the light in the tank be on per day

Adriean

Adriean
WWWYIM  
IP Logged

somanykitties
God Member

One can never have too
many cats!

Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
We don't have any goldfish, but we were told to feed them only what they could consume in about 3 minutes and they should only be fed once a day although mine do get a little at night too.  We turn on our light in the morning and it stays on until we go to bed around 11:00 at night.  We were told it needs to stay on at least 8 hours a day for the benefit of the live plant we have in the tank. It may be totally different for goldfish though.  We have 2 Kissers, 2 Gouramis, 1 Angelfish and 2 Tetras.

Within the heart of every stray...lies the singular desire to be loved

IP Logged

Canko
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 6th, 2008 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Hi, I have a 50 gallon goldfish tank. I donot have a heater and the fish adjust fine in room temp. I feed them a pinch twice daily, but they will eat alot so be careful not to over feed. Keep tank away from window due to algae. I will be happy to answer any other questions for you. Good Luck

IP Logged

rohan

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Reply #6 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 8:01am
Print Post  
Place  the aquarium in such a way that is not in direct sunlight, or be subjected to drafts or temperature extremes that could harm the fish. The location must also be capable of getting wet from time to time. So while considering where to keep it, be careful that its not near things that could get spoilt if wet from time to time.
----------
Pet Tips
http://FreePetTips.com

IP Logged

youbetcha1018

Reply #7 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 11:22am
Print Post  
No direct sunlight, a place where it won't be knocked into, best in a room with a window so the fish get natural light rather than having to have a light bar on all day.

IP Logged

bluebarry
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
I think  you should need a filter to clean the water .
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2009 at 2:54pm by Tempest »  

IP Logged

AlvinCampbell

I Love my pets!

Reply #9 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 1:00am
Print Post  
we do anything we need to look for a good place to set up our freshwater aquarium, the layout of the house including human traffic, windows, door and other elements will have a major effect on your aquarium success. Carefully inspect the area where you plan to set up your aquarium to check for a few easily avoided hazards.  A little good judgment and patience goes a long way. you put it where kids run around then theres bound to the accident where the tank a gets knocked over over worse your kids get injuried so plan out carefully. Thanks for sharing with us.

IP Logged

HelloKitty_PuppyLuv

I Love my pets!

Reply #10 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Direct sunlight does affect fish tanks.. not only can it affect the water temperature by increasing it, but it can also lead to the growth of algae. While algae can be easily cleaned up, considering you make the effort to hinder it from accumulating.. the rise in water temperature within your tank can severely affect the health and well-being of your fish. Be careful and monitor the water temperature as well as the behavior of your fish.

...Save a life or two.. Adopt a pet! Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.