Treat your pet to Omaha Steaks Pet Treats!

Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Can Parrots and Cats get along? (Read 10,441 times)
Toomanypets
Ex Member

Can Parrots and Cats get along?
May 2nd, 2007 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
I am going to be moving into a home with a parrot resident. He hangs out in and around his cage. I have 2 indoor cats, Persians. Since cats are natural hunters, does anybody know if the parrot would be safe with the cats? Don't want to come home to a beloved dead parrot.

IP Logged

dragonfly20
Ex Member

Re: Can Parrots and Cats get along?
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2007 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
i think it depends on the cats and if the bird will be interesting enough to them.  i've heard of cats and birds being in the same household and getting along fine because the cats pay no attention to it. 

however, i have two parakeets and two cats, and my cats try to jump on the birdcage all the time.  so i can never leave them alone in the same room with the birds, nor do i let the parakeets out of the cage around the cats.  they would hurt them for sure. 

since a parrot is so large, it may be better at defending itself against your cats, which may deter your cats from bothering it.  but i can't say for sure how well they will cohabitate with each other.  i've tried to teach my kitties that the birds are their "siblings," not food. but they don't care - they try to get to them anyway.  but like i said, a parrot is much larger than a parakeet, so your cats may steer clear of him.  i'm not sure...

i hope everything works out ok!

IP Logged

Bibi
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2007 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Not all parrots are large, lovebirds and parrotlets are only 4 or 5 inches long... not big at all.

IP Logged

Toomanypets
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 7th, 2007 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
The parrot is a conure similar to a blue crown conure. He is only about 8-10 inches. One of the cats, the persian, is pretty calm & usually concerned when other pets seem hurt. He goes to them & meows as if to see if they are ok. The other one, the blue-point himalayan, I'm concerned with. He's the youngest, 2 y.o.. I have seen him try to catch a fly before but yet he runs away from my 7 lb maltese. So I can't imagine how the cats and parrot will interact. I can only hope for the best.

IP Logged

Bibi
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 8th, 2007 at 7:46am
Print Post  
Conures are very active, flighty and noisy birds (by the way, they are not parrots), all things that would attract the attention of a cat, and they are small, so you will need to make sure they are always supervised when together.

IP Logged

lisakmusco

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
I agree with dragonfly -- it really depends on the bird(s) and the cat(s).  I have a cockatoo and 6 cats and don't really have any problems with them.  The younger cats that came into the house after the bird (all my cats are technically younger than the bird, but two were in my house first) are a bit more curious about the bird and try to play with her, while the older ones could care less about the bird.

Lisa in South Florida&&6 Cats: George, Sonny, Salt, Pepper, Luke & Leia&&1 Angel Cat: Jasmine &&1 Bird: Bee-Bop&&Aquarium of tropical fish

IP Logged

youbetcha1018

Reply #6 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Maybe.It's not possible.It depends somehow.If you let them interact with each other while on their growing stage.

IP Logged

rohan

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Reply #7 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 7:45am
Print Post  
I don't think so. I had a parrot and also 2 cats at the same time. One of the cats kept jumping at the parrot's cage. Once someone left the cage open by mistake and the cat hurt the parrot really badly before anyone saw. I was mad with my cat and all the more at myself for being so foolish an keeping both the parrot and the cat. I think its better if you choose between a cat and a parrot rather than having the parro live in constant fear of the cat.
----------
Pet Tips
http://FreePetTips.com

IP Logged

bluebarry
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 12:27am
Print Post  
I think they can get along.
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2009 at 2:51pm by Tempest »  

IP Logged

Fantasy_Girl

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Reply #9 - Oct 13th, 2009 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Although they probably could get along I would NEVER trust a cat around birds. It is their nature to go after smaller prey animals. Plus even if the bird was able to ward of the cat ONE SCRATCH can be FATAL as there is bacteria on the cats claws that is deadly to the birds. Hope this helps!

IP Logged

bensonbarton
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
yes,they can

IP Logged

Minerva Yates

Reply #11 - Mar 19th, 2011 at 4:36am
Print Post  
Hi. Don't worry too much. Conures are smart birds and can easily make sound if ever they are in trouble.  Wink

Free Drug Card for Pets
Save money on prescriptions for your pet!
Best of all the card is FREE!
www.thefreedrugcardsiteforpets.com
IP Logged

AlvinCampbell

I Love my pets!

Reply #12 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 1:26am
Print Post  
I have a parrot and also 2 cats at the same time. One of the cats kept jumping at the parrot's cage. Once someone left the cage open by mistake and the cat hurt the parrot really badly before anyone saw. So I can never leave them alone in the same room with the birds, nor do I let the parakeets out of the cage around the cats.  They would hurt them for sure. Thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.