Treat your pet to Omaha Steaks Pet Treats!

Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Deadly Equine Virus (Read 4,894 times)
shadows_mom

Deadly Equine Virus
Dec 16th, 2006 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
If you receive this and don't have a horse, please print it out and show it to your neighbors who have horses.  Not all horse owners receive these e-mails.  This is super serious.  If you are out of FL at this time you need to know about this in case sick horses should manage to leave FL.  If you were planning to haul horses in or out of FL you need to check to make sure you will be allowed to do so.  These horses came from elsewhere so you need to know what is happening here and take precautions in your location before a problem arizes.  One sick horse was shipped to CA from the barn in NY and it died. 

Thank you.

The virus that has killed five horses in Wellington to date is the EHV-1 strain. There is a vaccine for this virus but whether or not to vaccinate your horse should be discussed with your vet as each horse and their circumstance is different.  This vaccine is only effective if a booster is given every three months. Stadium Jumping has canceled the horse show for this weekend and other cancellations may follow. Several barns in Wellington are under strict quarantine, (state vets on premises with police) while others are voluntary, but the State of FL Vets are asking everyone to keep their horse at home for two weeks or until further notice. More information will be known and announced in 7-14 days. At this time the FL border is closed to all horses going in or out. Unfortunately many people are trying to move their horses out of Wellington and it is strongly recommended that no one take in any new boarders because they may not be honest about where they are coming from. As the gestation of this virus is 7-21 days if your barn is under quarantine it means your horse must stay in their stall for 21 days, or 42 days if a horse becomes sick close by. Symptoms are fever, respiratory congestion (sneezing, coughing) and after a few days neurological problems. Please call your vet at the FIRST sign of a problem. Recommended precautions are as follows:
Anyone (Vet, Farrier, stall muckers, feed store delivery men, trainers, riders, friends, etc.) who has been at another horse farm before arriving at your farm should be asked to wash their hands and wipe their boots off of all sand and dirt on a doormat then step into a bleach and water footbath. Make a fresh footbath for each person. 
Take the temperature of each of your  horses morning and night and record these temps on a chart. This is very important because the temps will often go up and down a little before it spikes quite high and your horse becomes visibly sick. Any increase in temperature is suspect. (A horses normal temp is around 100 degrees. So any temp at or above 101 is above normal. You should always take your horses temp when you know they are healthy to get a baseline normal temp for your horse.)
Do not allow anyone to touch or work on any horse with a temp at or above 101 degrees.
Have anyone working with your horses wash their hands between each horse.
Keep your horses on your own farm or ride in areas away from other horses. Do not allow your horse touch noses with any other off-farm horses. Do not ride near other peoples property. Do not let your horses touch anything on someone else's property, especially fences, gates, grass, etc. that another horse might be likely to touch. Do not share water buckets or let your horse drink out of a common water trough.
This virus is also airborne. If an infected horse sneezes it can reach another horse or person at 35 feet away.
Anyone who has had horses in the Wellington area in the last week please be especially careful. It would be best to separate those horses from your other horses on your farm if possible.
This is a very serious problem and we cannot take this lightly. Once a horse reaches the neurological stage of this disease it is fatal. It hits young horses especially hard. It is VERY contagious. If you have any questions please call your vet.

Proudly owned by Shadow & Mickey.&&Missing Kitty Boy since 12/19/06.&&Missing Nimbus since 5/20/07.
IP Logged

youbetcha1018

Re: Deadly Equine Virus
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Thanks for this very important info.I would definitely make copies of this then i'll distribute it to some of my friends who are raising horses.Thanks a lot.

IP Logged

Lavendersage
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2009 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
The problem is the horses immune systems are compromised.. It all begins with proper nutrition.
I have 20 years experience in Equine nutrition management and herbal remedies..
I work with horses around the world and the nutrition program I provide for my clients has been tested and proven..
If the horse has a strong immune system and the proper intake of herbs their bodies are able to push out the foreign invaders before it attacks..

This is the key..

Lisa
www.lavendersageequine.com

IP Logged

IsabelleR

I Love my pets!

Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2010 at 4:27am
Print Post  
ohh IC Really the horrible Virus this is actually..
i dont have a horse but i should make copies of this and will distribute it my friends having the horse as a precaution for their horses ..
Such a news should be promoted and published for the sake of help of all

IP Logged

thomas20

I Love my pets!

Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 8:01am
Print Post  
A deadly and highly contagious horse virus, first identified at a horse show in Utah, has moved into Southern California. One horse has died, another 4 are sick.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.