Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Need Help Choosing A Small Pet... (Read 9,297 times)
ElwinB1

Re: Need Help Choosing A Small Pet...
Reply #15 - Sep 10th, 2007 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
A ferret is not a good alternative to a small cage pet. 

They need a largish cage; several levels, a hammock, litter box, toys, etc, and quite a bit of attention.  While some ferrets would rather play and bounce around by themselves others need to be held and loved on.

A single ferret can develop loneliness and get depressed if not given enough attention.

A neutered/descented ferret does not smell unless you get them under you nose but their litter boxes can smell just like a cats.

If you cannot devote at least four hours a day of attention to a ferret I would advise against them as a pet.

The other problem with ferrets is that unless you find a private breeder you will be supporting ferret mills like Marshall Farms whose animals have health problems from bad breeding techniques.

Stick with something like a mouse.

IP Logged

Tiffer1981
God Member

Reply #16 - Sep 19th, 2007 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Neutered de-scented ferrets still smell.  There is no way around it.  They don't smell AS BAD, but they do still smell.

AIM  
IP Logged

BIG_HYDRO

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Reply #17 - Sep 19th, 2007 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Quote:
For guinea pigs, the size of cage should be at least 100 square inches of floor space

Is this a typo? 100 square inches in less than 1 ft by 1 ft. That would be kinda small.

I have rats as pets as well as some as breeders for food. Rats can be very nice pets and are extremely smart animals as well. If you are looking for a small mammal then I would go with a couple of rats. If it does not have to ba a mammal, then I woulf go with a frog.

IP Logged

ElwinB1

Reply #18 - Sep 20th, 2007 at 12:29am
Print Post  
Tiffer1981 wrote on Sep 19th, 2007 at 2:03pm:
Neutered de-scented ferrets still smell.  There is no way around it.  They don't smell AS BAD, but they do still smell.

All animals have an odor and unless you are what is being called a super-smeller (someone with an extremely acute sense of smell)  you can sit with a ferret in your lap and pet it without stinking up the whole room.

I raised six and the only time I noticed an odor was when I would forget to change the bedding in the cage on a regular basis,

If I put my nose in my ferrets' fur I could smell their natural scent but I found it to be musky and liked it.

When I put my cat Buzz or any of my sugar gliders under my nose I can detect their own distinct odor.  Even the human animal has an odor that is unique and distinct to that person.

One thing to consider is that the odor of furred animals is caused by their oils.  People who tried to wash their ferrets on a regular basis have reported a stronger than usual odor.  This is because the skin will secrete more oil to replace the oils taken away by washing. 

De-scenting removes glands designed to be used for marking territory.  Even cats and dogs have such glands.  It does not remove the animals own unique odor created by skin pores that create oils to keep the fur healthy.

IP Logged

Tiffer1981
God Member

Reply #19 - Sep 26th, 2007 at 9:26am
Print Post  
You can still smell them, and you can smell areas where they like to lay.  It's just the natural odor they have (de-scented and all).  It's not horrible, and in my opinion it's perfectly tolerable, but the fact is they do stink.  Their natural odor is more potent than that of a dog, cat, guinea pig, hamster, gerbil, rat, etc.  I think it's good to be 100% accurate when giving someone info. on getting an animal.  Otherwise, more animals end up in rescues, or a lot worse.

AIM  
IP Logged

Bibi
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Sep 26th, 2007 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Tiffer is correct.  Even under the best of circumstances, ferrets smell.  And it is best to give out all the info about a species, both the pros and the cons, because things that might not bother us (and I also agree that the smell is not that offensive but then I don't find dog smell offensive either and most people do) could bother other people and then we will have still another unwanted animal in a rescue or a shelter.

IP Logged

rohan

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Reply #21 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 7:20am
Print Post  
I don't know if this reply is too late. But i really think hamsters are  good choice for small house pets. They are absolutely adorable too.
----------
Pet Tips
http://FreePetTips.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.