Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic baby mice eating each other help! (Read 2,696 times)
Hanks_mom

I love my fur babies!

baby mice eating each other help!
Sep 17th, 2006 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
About a month a go, I rescued a large group of white feeder mice. Once I got them home I discovered the female were heavily pregnant. Removed the males into another large tank. The females gave birth that same week and everthing seemed well. The babys are now about three and a half weeks old. I came home from work Friday and discovered that the babies not the mothers had killed and were eating another baby. The tank they are in is plenty big enough. It gets freshened daily and fully cleaned three times a week. They have food and fresh water, also I keep a water bottle of vitaminized milk for the nursing mothers. Vet has ruled the mothers in good health and sees nothing wrong with the babies. Sugust maybe should seperate them, but am afraid they still need mothers milk as they are not fully weaned until they are 5 wks. However feel like i have no other choise as they are killing and eating each other. Noone seems to know why they are doing this as they have enough food and a large enough and clean tank. Has anyone else had this problem? Since these are rescued feeder mice could it be an imbreeding problem? I am going to seperate them. I feel I have no choise. Can mice live happily alone in a tank without other mice? I herd they were social animals and  needed a companion. Don't know much about mice. I'm a cat and dog person. Just couldn't stand for these guys to be fed to a hungary snake. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also should I keep them on formula for the five wks or since its formula should I keep them on it longer? Luckily I already have homes for them when they are weaned but what is a good age for them to go? since they will have to be fed formula unstead of mothers milk.            

When I get old I'll be the crazy old lady on the block with the 50 cats~Mom to Sissy, Hank, Lance and Staycee all cats and Toddrick a australian shepherd mixed.

IP Logged

Hanks_mom

I love my fur babies!

Re: baby mice eating each other help!
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2006 at 8:34am
Print Post  
Baby mice all did great after I seperated them. Just wanted to let you know Grin.  I let them go to their new homes yesterday. I also found safe reliable homes for the adult mice I had. I kept only two of the boy mice and have named them Dominic and Franky.

When I get old I'll be the crazy old lady on the block with the 50 cats~Mom to Sissy, Hank, Lance and Staycee all cats and Toddrick a australian shepherd mixed.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.