Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Dog won't eat (Read 3,596 times)
rottie_mom
Ex Member

Dog won't eat
Sep 8th, 2006 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Hi everyone,
I'm hoping someone on this board can help me with a problem. I am concerned about my 6 year old male Rott who is usually a good eater, but recently (about 3 days ago) he started refusing to eat. I work from 8-5 daily and usually I give him a meal of 2 cups kibble and about a half cup of canned food. He always insisted that I feed him before I leave, around 7:30 a.m. and then again as soon as I get in at 5:30. Later that evening, he would always want another meal before bedtime. He would usually eat about a total of 5 cups per day. But now he has not eaten since Tuesday and all he does is lay around and sleep. He doesn't look or act like he's sick. His eyes are clear and he looks ok, but it's like he is suddenly a different dog. Also he usually lays down besides the couch where I am, but he hasn't been crowding me out of my spot like he usually does; but gives me plenty of space by laying in other areas of the room. I am probably worrying uselessly, but it is such a sudden turn around, I don't know what to think. Also he loves to ride in the car, but yesterday I couldn't get him to ride to the store with me. Does anyone have any suggestions before I call the vet?  Also, is 6 years of age old for a Rottweiler?

IP Logged

all4upets
Ex Member

Re: Dog won't eat
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2006 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Has his teeth ever been cleaned by the vet ?  That could cause a dog not to eat and feel bad if he has periodontal disease.  If you are really concerned, a trip to the vet probably would be best.  Hope he gets to feeling better soon.  Here's a website about it just in case you think that could be the problem

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1633&articleid=379

IP Logged

redfire
God Member

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2006 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
You really need to go to a vet. Having a dog that won't eat can point to all sorts of problems from an upset stomach, bad teeth, to something more serious. Your vet will probably want to run some blood work and do a comprehensive exam.

Is your dog drinking water? Not eating is one thing, but not drinking water is serious. Make sure that he is not dehydrated.

AIM  
IP Logged

Tempest
Forum Administrator

There is none more important
than another.

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2006 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Inappetance and changes in behavior are common symptoms of illness.  Your dog needs a veterinary checkup right away.

Tempest

IP Logged

hscvt
God Member

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2006 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Not eating and lethargy could be symptoms of numerous illnesses that could be going on.  A visit to the vet is in order in this case.  Please let us know how things go.

Make it a great day!&&Check out our adoption page. We are bringing home a child from Korea!!&&www.mikeandheather.bravehost.com&&&&;
WWWYIM  
IP Logged

rottie_mom
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2006 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Hi again everybody

Thank you all for your suggestions and concern for my problem. I'm happy to say, "Rambo" is now eating again. I'm not really sure what the problem was or if there really was a problem.  He's back to being his old demanding self and wants joy rides to the park again!

"On the thrid day of not eating, he would come and tell me he's hungry, but he kept refusing his food after I gave it to him. i sometimes give him table food  mixed in with his kibble so I thought I would try mixing something other than canned food with his kibble. I scrambled some eggs, mixed it with kibble and lo and behold he ate it all! Later in the day I then mixed his second meal with mac & cheese left over from my lunch and he ate again. So to see if he's just being stubborn or if he's really back to his old self, I gave him his regular kibble and canned food mix this morning and he ate it too. He even asked for a treat before I left for work."  Grin Of course I gave him a couple after I made him give me a handshake. Grin

To answer the question, no I have not had his teeth cleaned by the vet, yet. He's kinda stubborn about going into the vet's office, or the groomer's. When I take him for a nail trim, they usually come out and do his nails on the porch of the groomer's office. But now that I know the importance of getting his teeth cleaned, I'll put more effort into getting him to the vet for cleaning.  Again, thanks to all for everything.

IP Logged

Beachbaby

Jack-Jack Attack!

Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2006 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Yep, my JRT was like that when I started mixing her medicine with her food..wouldn't touch it. So I'd leave it alone, go to work and  found she ate it during the day, but was picking her pill out of it. So, I crushed it up and mixed it with her food...she'd wait to eat.  Then I decided, heck, she likes fish, so I put a little tuna juice in there and bow wow...she scarfed it up!
We have to keep reminding ourselves how we'd want our food..they are so much like us.

We all live in a yellow submarine

IP Logged

rottie_mom
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2006 at 2:19pm
Print Post  

Thanks for your post, Beachbaby.
That is so funny about the pill. I've never given mine fish, hmm....

IP Logged

MalamuteLover99
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 11th, 2006 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Our 8 month old alaskan malamute was like that a few weeks ago.  He just stopped eating, just lied around the house and so on.  we took him to the vet and he came out with a clean bill of health.  So the vet said to try giving him some wet food in with his dry.  We did and he scarfed it down after 3 days of not eating. 

After about 4 or 5 days he returned to normal.

IP Logged

rottie_mom
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2006 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Yea, I think my big baby was just fed up with his food. After all he has been eating the same kibble for 6 years. I'm sure I would want a little variety also after 6 years of the same thing over and over.  I've thought about changing him to a raw diet, but I don't know if I can stomach that.  Roll Eyes He's doing fine now. Oh, and he never stopped drinking water, just eating.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.