Treat your pet to Omaha Steaks Pet Treats!

Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic GETTING A HORSE (Read 6,997 times)
Shepterrier
Ex Member

GETTING A HORSE
Aug 27th, 2006 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
I am thinking of getting a horse.  I have always loved them, but never had the space or money. Now I have the space and well no time is like the present. So, now I need to know what is involved in getting a horse. Please help...

IP Logged

shadows_mom

Re: GETTING A HORSE
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2006 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
There is sooo much involved.

Finding the right horse can be a challenge.  You will need someone with you who can spot potential problems with the horse.

You will need equipment.  Halter, lead rope, bandages, boots, brushes, buckets, shampoo, flyspray, a dozen different ointments for the little scrapes that horses always seem to get no matter how careful you are, wormer, feed, hay, blankets, bridle, saddle, saddle pads, girth, saddle soap, sponges....this list is potentially endless.  And most of these things you should have 2 of just in case one breaks.

The most important things will be the phone numbers of a good vet, a good farrier, and a good equine dentist.

Is there a trainer nearby, or someone who can help you as you learn?

Proudly owned by Shadow & Mickey.&&Missing Kitty Boy since 12/19/06.&&Missing Nimbus since 5/20/07.
IP Logged

furryfriends

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2006 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
hi, you  didn't mention if you already had experience with horses.  You may want to take lessons from a reputable stable that includes all aspects of horse care.  When you go to buy your horse use a reputable third party, get a vet check.  My strongest recommendation also would be to be sure you get a very gentle and willing horse.  Don't be blinded by a flashy coat or a pretty face because in the beginning you want a confidence builder.  I speak some from experience.  I love my horses and hope you will enjoy them too.  Listen to everyone (horse people love to give advice) but use your common sense.  You can learn about the basic eqiupment and the best set up for your property from the lessons and the locals.  good luck

IP Logged

Tempest
Forum Administrator

There is none more important
than another.

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2006 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
I have written a number of horse-related articles which appear on my website at the following URL:

http://www.geocities.com/lfandjg/articles.html

Among the articles is one which will take you through the basic steps of buying a horse.

Tempest

IP Logged

Shepterrier
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2006 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Thank you so much for all the suggestions and advice. Since my posting I have located a great trainer that has agreed to help in the whole process. We have already located a few horses that will probably fit in perfectly. For those that help out with my other questions (Tempest) you have already heard me brag about the pics. But I must keep boasting. They came out great. I have been taking pics of the horses too as we meet and I will soon be adding them to photofiddle.com to create works of art with these beautiful animals. If you haven't already, check them out. I have a wall of all my animals and each different (watercolor, charcoal drawings, etc.) I just love it.....
Thanks again for your help.

IP Logged

youbetcha1018

Reply #5 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
My advice:
- Take your time. DO NOT rush into buying a horse. Ride it a few times, and if possible, ask to trial it for a couple of weeks to see if you are compatible.
-Ask lots of questions. Research first, and make sure you find out everything you want to know. Don't be afraid to ask- if the seller is genuine they should be more than happy to help you out.
-Know what you're looking for. Before you start trawling the papers, have in mind things like the height you want, age, price, etc. If you are just trail riding, then most breeds are a go, but do some research as some are more 'hot blooded' than others.
-If you haven't already, arrange to have lessons! Not just in riding, but in general horse care.
-Get a vet check. Although not overly common, some sellers have been known to drug horses to make them seem more placid. Also, a vet (or even a superbly knowledgeable horsey friend) can help you look over the horse, pick out its faults etc.

IP Logged

LizzyP

I Love PetDiscussion.com

Reply #6 - Nov 10th, 2009 at 3:19am
Print Post  
DOes anyone know exactly how much space you need to own a horse? Is there a certain requirement, legalities concerning this? I have jsut aquired some land but I fear it may not be enough to let a horse roam, I would hate if it suffered...

IP Logged

animalhealthscience
Ex Member

http://www.animalhealthscience.com
Reply #7 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 8:18am
Print Post  
horse farm houses are the best way to get a horse, nearly i bought a african horse, its so pretty
all of can show his snaps in my next post

IP Logged

thomas20

I Love my pets!

Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 2:51am
Print Post  
Buying a horse isn't a purchase to be taken lightly, so most thoughtful buyers hire a veterinarian to give a horse the medical once-over and report on its condition. In a pre-purchase vet check, the vet will look at the horse's conformation, check its wind, digestion (by listening to stomach sounds), hearing and eyesight, lungs and heart.......

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.