Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic could it be FIV (Read 1,459 times)
all4upets
Ex Member

could it be FIV
Aug 19th, 2006 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
I am asking this for a friend:

The cat has tested negative for FIV, but her eyes always has gook in the corners, and her anus always has a little blood on it which turns into a black crusty substance.  The vet gave her a cream to put on it and didn't seem too concerned.  Her stools have also been soft but it is not diahrrea.  She has been treated for worms and tapeworms in the past.  Otherwise, she acts healthy.  She has had all of her vaccinations and is on flea control.  She is about 4 years old and was found as a stray in extremely poor condition.  She has been on antibiotics and treated for sore eyes twice.   Even though she tested negative, could it be FIV or is there something else that could be causing these problems.  Also, her kittens seem to be having the gooky/watery eye problems and soft stools but not the bloody anus.  Any suggestions would be helpful.

IP Logged

redfire
God Member

Re: could it be FIV
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2006 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Was the FIV test ran "in-house" or was it sent out to a lab? If she is concerned about FIV, she should request that the vet send the test to an outside lab. Their tests are much more reliable.

What you are describing does not necessarily sound like FIV. The gook in her eyes could be from an upper respiratory infection or herpes virus. Many times strays acquire herpes viruses from other strays. In most cases, Herpes viruses are not curable, only treatable. Also, it would explain why the kittens have the same problems. Herpes viruses are very contagious!

As for the bloody anus, has another stool sample been taken? Is she an outdoor kitty?

AIM  
IP Logged

all4upets
Ex Member

Re: could it be FIV
Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2006 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
I think the test was done at the vet's office, but I am not totally sure about that. 

She is an indoor only kitty.  The last time she took her to the vet and asked if it could be worms causing the problem, the vet acted like it was not serious and gave the cat another dose of dewormer.  I will tell her about the herpes virus.  Thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.