Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Worms on kitten's tail (Read 1,927 times)
linchad

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Worms on kitten's tail
Jul 22nd, 2006 at 10:14am
Print Post  
I found a dehydrated ktten yesterday, and after feeding it, this morning its tail is covered in worms, I assume tapeworms, and they've destroyed the fur and opened the skin. Help! What can I put on her to help as I know it must be painful. She's probably about 6 weeks old, but not sure.

IP Logged

hscvt
God Member

Re: Worms on kitten's tail
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2006 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
If the kitten is dehydrated and you found worms all over the tail, then the kitten needs to get to the vet.  May not be tapeworm that you are seeing.  Could very well be maggots, especially with open sores.  If you really want to help the kitten, take it to the vet.

Make it a great day!&&Check out our adoption page. We are bringing home a child from Korea!!&&www.mikeandheather.bravehost.com&&&&;
WWWYIM  
IP Logged

redfire
God Member

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2006 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Tapeworms do not imbed themselves into the skin. It definetly sounds like your rescue kitty has maggots. She needs to go the vet ASAP. The wounds may be deeper than you think.

AIM  
IP Logged

Melissa
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2006 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
I agree that it sounds like maggots. Most worms live internally, and wouldn't be infesting the tail, I wouldn't think.

You do need to take her to a vet, but I don't think maggots would actually hurt the kitty too much. I've seen maggots being used to actually eat away dead skin (as they don't eat living flesh) on people (gross, but apparently medically effective), so if you think in that way, they may actually be doing the kitty a favor!

However, she probably does need some sort of treatment for the sores.

Melissa

IP Logged

redfire
God Member

Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2006 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
While it is true that the maggots may actually be helping, maggots often are symptoms of a very, very deep wound. If you are seeing a large infestation of worms, then the wounds may be much deeper than you think and potentially life threatening to a young, immunosuppressed kitten. Get her to a vet asap. How is she doing now?

AIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.