Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Molly and hind leg amputation (Read 2,847 times)
SheilaA

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Molly and hind leg amputation
Aug 5th, 2006 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
My golden retriever/german shepherd had a leg amputation 3 months ago. WOW, what a time that was. I did the bicycle motion exercises. She is walking but is almost like dragging her behind. It's not on the ground but it is not at all right. I was  trying to find a brace that hooks up in the front arms and shoulders, then it extends to the back so that the hip  is pulled up more. I saw one on the internet for a sagging hind leg.  Does anyone know of anything like that? It is so sad because there are no more walks, she can't chase the next door cats etc. 

Thank you
Sheila

IP Logged

hscvt
God Member

Re: Molly and hind leg amputation
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2006 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
Has she been going to physical therapy?  What has her exercise been otherwise to help strengthen the other leg?  What does the vet say about this?  I dont' know of the sling that you are speaking of..but typically dogs who have a leg amputated do fairly well on 3, so the activity that you describe is questionable.  Was this due to an accident where there was nerve/spinal cord damage also?

Make it a great day!&&Check out our adoption page. We are bringing home a child from Korea!!&&www.mikeandheather.bravehost.com&&&&;
WWWYIM  
IP Logged

suebgone

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2006 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
If she can't be rehabilitated without help I would suggest you check with Deweys Wheel Chairs.   

His are made so as to encourage the dog to walk in time alto that may not be possible for her. 

http://www.wheelchairsfordogs.com/

I want on my tombstone - I told you I was sick

IP Logged

SheilaA

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2006 at 1:03am
Print Post  
Molly was run over in april. Her rt hind leg was so mangled that it had to go. Her opposite hip came out of socket so she had to have operations, 3 of them, on the other hind leg. So her remaining hind leg was all taped up for 3 weeks. I did therpy with her for awhile then began chemo-therapy treatments and have been too anemic to do much of anything.  Do you think it's too late if I started the bicycle movements again?

Thanks for your help
Sheila

IP Logged

redfire
God Member

Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2006 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
No, I dont think that it is too late to start exercising that hind leg again. Also, you may want to think about starting her on glucosamine and chondroitin. Gluco/Chon will help to rebuild the cartilidge in that leg and hip, and hopefully, reduce some of her pain and improve her mobility.

It sounds like you need to contact your vet regarding the procedures that were performed on her remaining hind leg. He may have some useful suggestions also.

AIM  
IP Logged

shadows_mom

Reply #5 - Aug 11th, 2006 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Visit http://www.handicappedpets.com

They have all kinds of products and support.  Good Luck!

Proudly owned by Shadow & Mickey.&&Missing Kitty Boy since 12/19/06.&&Missing Nimbus since 5/20/07.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.