Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Fleas please help-info needed (Read 3,183 times)
mbsalatino

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Fleas please help-info needed
Jul 23rd, 2006 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Hello everyone.  Could anyone give me advice on how to kill these  evil beast?  I have all the animals on their monthly treatment- my dog has been on frontline plus for about 1 week and is absolutely miserable.  I can see fleas running on his paws etc.  I also gave him capstar.  I have done the inside and out with ortho home defense max and just bombed with zodiac.  I see more fleas since I have bombed.  Is this common?  Should I call an exterinator?  I have never had fleas in my house and am at a loss.  Any information would be much appreciated.  I am aware that nothing kills a flea in a certain stage, so if anyone could explain how the growth regulator products work, and how long a flea lives after it comes in contact with the pesticide would be so welcome.  Also any opinions concerning how long to wait until I can re apply frontline or switch to advantage.  My vet says a week in between the 2, or 2 weeks to reapply frontline.  That seems soon and I don't want to over pesticide my furbabies.  Please help, I hate to see my pumpkins suffering.

Thanks one and all and may you all be flea free.

M.B.

IP Logged

all4upets
Ex Member

Re: Fleas please help-info needed
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Fleas can be controlled but it takes persistance to get rid of them and keep them away.  I use Advantex on my dogs and haven't had a problem with it as long as I keep it applied once a month.  If you applied Frontline on your dog, it should kill the fleas.  I am wondering if the fleas you see on your dog are the ones that just jumped on him.   Ortho is great but I have found that the granules work better than liquid outside.  For the inside, I would suggest call pest control and have them spray your house specifically for fleas.  Frontline should work just as good as Advantage, and are supposed to work within 12 hours.  It probably is working on your dog, but if there all over your house,  it may take longer than a week to get rid of all of them.  Don't give up.  If you have carpet and use a vacuum for the fleas, discard the bag outside in a garbage bag tied tight so the fleas won't get out.  It would help to wash all bedding once each week(yours and the dogs) in hot water and vacuum all furniture.  I would spray the furniture for fleas, too.  Just be sure that whatever you use is safe for your dog.

IP Logged

mbsalatino

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Thank you so much for the response.  I have learned from calling numerous animal hospitals and inquiring that it can take as long as a week to see a decline. I was also informed that the increased activity could be due to setting off the bombs and awaking the eggs and that it makes them crazy like an animal with rabies, but do to their hard shell can take a long time.  I was also informed that even by using the exterminator that it will take a few days before you see a decline.  What a miserable situation.  I really look forward to any other input.  Thanks everyone.

M.B.

IP Logged

suebgone

Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 1:36am
Print Post  
I have seen dozens of complaints about FL this year.  Not sure why.   

Be advised that Advantix has been linked to glaucoma & seizures in some dogs & is not recommended if there are cats in the home. 

Are you sure you are getting the medicine down to their skin & its not just on the fur?

I have used Advantage for years with excellent results.  I've lived in FL for 3 1/2 yrs without A flea.  When I did have a problem years ago, I had excellent results with RAID Plus. 

I want on my tombstone - I told you I was sick

IP Logged

AnnWong

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 2:52am
Print Post  
Getting rid of fleas involved more than just treating your cat with anti-fleas products. You also have to treat the environment as well. Check out this website as it provides a guide to total flea control.

If you are concern about the use of chemicals on your pets, there is also an article written by a vet on how to approach flea control using natural products.

http://www.all-pets-info.com/fleacontrol

IP Logged

maumau27

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
We are having TROUBLE getting rid of them on our Lab, plus, since he stays inside, we have had some in the carpet.  Used FRONTLINE, but they are still there.  I read on another board to use HEAD AND SHOULDERS, so am using that.  Also that LAVENDER OIL would work.  Has anyone tried that????  I stopped by the HEALTH FOOD STORE and picked up some, so if the second bath in HEAD AND SHOULDERS doesn't work, am going to use that.
??? ???

IP Logged

all4upets
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2006 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
It's odd how both of you used Frontline and are having problems with fleas.  I used it once on my cat and it didn't seem to work as good as Advantage.   I am sure Frontline kills the fleas, but maybe not as fast as Advantage.  If I remember correctly, Advantage works in 12 hours and Frontline takes 24 hours.  Just a thought.

IP Logged

mbsalatino

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Jul 28th, 2006 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Hello.  The latest developments.  Me and my obsessive personality has led me on a quest for death to fleas.  I have learned that a flea has a stage that nothing will kill in it's lifecycle- the puppae(sp).  So after one bombs you need to awaken all of dormant guys that were not alive when you bombed.  I was also informed that you should ideally not bomb any sooner than a week- try to wait a week and a half.  This is how long it takes to have them hatch. yuk.  In between those times you should of course vacuum, but you should also spray with a flea killer and residual growth inhibitor in it. Virbac and Zodiac make them.  Raid does as well.  But I have only been able to find them on line.  More info- once a flea comes in contact with the poison it can take them up to 72 hours to die 12-48 after they bite your dog.  So expect to see them for awhile.  Also you need to treat your yard I used the ortho max home defense spray, but am also going to try a product by spectracide for fleas in ticks.  Next- flea meds.  Frontline Plus has a totally different make up then advantage.  Nice thing about frontline is that it does not wash off like advantage and also prevents ticks.  It however takes longer to work then Adavantage.  However, I put my dog on adavantage 2 weeks after the frontline per discussion with my vet and after calling both manufactuers of the product.  I hear wonderful things about advantics(sp) but can not use it because we have cats.  I am going to put my cats on revolution next instead of frontline because it protects against numerous other medical problems.    I also forgot to mention in my original post that I treated all at once-animals, yard, house.  I was just completely unaware that it takes so long for these things to die.  To the person with the lab I would totally recommend trying advantage after talking to your vet but also ask about capstar.  It's a pill that is safe to give in conjunction with the topical and last for 24 hours and starts to work in 1/2 hour.  Be aware that it is extremely important to treat all 3 areas in order to break the life cycle.  Good luck to everyone.  I'm still at war myself, 2nd bomb occurs Sunday.  Hopefully this will do the trick.  P.S.  The natural remedy such as lavender, rosemary, citrus help to repel them.  It does nothing to kill them.  They also are suppose to hate mint.  I saw no real results with any natural products.  This is the worst flea season on the East in years.  We had and have ideal weather conditions for nasty pesty bugs hence making the battle even harder.  Chat with you all soon.

M.B.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.