Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sad/Frustrated... (Read 4,479 times)
4mygolden
Ex Member

Sad/Frustrated...
Jul 21st, 2006 at 11:44am
Print Post  
I posted on the name your pets post.  I had 3 pets.  Key word...had..  As of Tuesday 07-18-06 my black cat is missing.  She went out at night and never came home.  I am sad, I miss her.. I am frustrated because I dont know what happened to her.  Did she get hit, is she hurt, did an animal get her, is she caught in a tree, trapped in a barn or something...Maybe she will show up in a week or a month.. but it is hard because I mourn her like she is dead while I look out the window to see if she is coming up the driveway....Sad, sad, sad...

IP Logged

hscvt
God Member

Re: Sad/Frustrated...
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2006 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
I am so sorry that this happened...Try to put out some canned food for her to help entice her to come back home.  Don't give up hope!  She just might be scared somewhere.  Have you talked to neighbors?  Posted at vet clinics?  Get the word out but don't give up!

Make it a great day!&&Check out our adoption page. We are bringing home a child from Korea!!&&www.mikeandheather.bravehost.com&&&&;
WWWYIM  
IP Logged

suebgone

Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2006 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
Did you call AC & the HS with lost reports? Put an ad in the lost & found in the paper? 

I really wouln't advise putting food out for her as it will attract wild animals. 

Putting an unwashed shirt of yours out at the end of your yard often works.  You could also put one of your litter boxes out there. 

This is why shelters don't adopt to people who allow their cats to go outside.  If you are lucky enough to get yours back, please keep them all inside.

I want on my tombstone - I told you I was sick

IP Logged

all4upets
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
The key here is to get the word out.  Don't just call your local humane shelter, call all the ones around your area, even if it seems to far away.  Call the vets around your area.  Place a lost ad in all the surrounding newspapers and shoppers.  Don't give up on your kitty.  I had a lost 7 month old puppy when I was a child.  Everyone in my family gave up but me.  I thought about her, prayed for her every night, and never forgot about her.   About a year later, my friend who lived next door to me, saw a dog that looked like my dog at a boy's house.  They rode the same bus and he only lived about a mile away from my house.  Secretly, we rode our bikes over there and sure enough they had a dog that they found.  They had been taking care of her and when I looked her over, I was positive she was my dog.  I told them I would get my parents to come and get her and then we left.  Well,  I didn't have to get my parents because my dog followed us all the way back home.  She immediately started licking my other dog when we arrived back home.   Don't give up, but learn from this.  I don't know how or why your kitty was out at night, but be sure you don't let any others out of your house.  There are too many dangers out there.

IP Logged

4mygolden
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 8:35am
Print Post  
Well, I have posted flyers, went door to door, AND contacted both shelters in my area.  I did not adopt my cat from a shelter she was given to me by a friend, there were two in the litter and they had no home for them.  So I took them in.  The cat that is missing escaped out the night she came up missing as a rule they are indoor cats.

IP Logged

suebgone

Reply #5 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 1:23am
Print Post  
Oh, thats good.  The way you stated it in your OP it sounded like it was a matter of course that she went out at nite.  Hopefully you will still find her.

I want on my tombstone - I told you I was sick

IP Logged

Tempest
Forum Administrator

There is none more important
than another.

Reply #6 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 8:20am
Print Post  
Call all of the vets' offices within a 25 miles radius and let them know exactly when your cat disappeared and what she looks like.  Then mail them each a flyer with her picture and your contact information.  If your cat was injured and someone found her, they may have taken her into a vet for treatment.

Do the same with your local police dept., sheriff's dept., and animal control.  These are all authorities who are often called when a stray animal is found.  Also contact your local newspapers/shoppers, radio stations, and TV stations to see if they'll run a missing animal spot for you.

Go PERSONALLY to each of your animal holding facilities (pound, shelter, etc.) and check the cats to see if yours is there.  Also drop off flyers at each of those places and talk to the PERSON IN CHARGE at each.  Some humane shelters are notorious for having lousy communication among staff and volunteers, so it's very possible your cat may have shown up and the person you spoke to on the phone never passed the message along to the people who actually care for the incoming animals.  Call or visit the shelters and pounds every 2-3 days to check on the new cats.

Go outside all around your home, yard, and neighborhood after dark at night with a flashlight and search for your cat.  It is often much easier to find a cat after dark than it is during daylight hours.  Not only is the cat more likely to come out of hiding at night and be more mobile, but the flashlight will illuminate her eyes, making her very easy to spot.  Check all hiding spaces - under porches, in outbuildings, etc.  Talk aloud in a casual, conversational tone as you search.  Your cat will recognize your voice when she hears you and may be more likely to come out of hiding so you can find her.  Be careful not to allow your voice to sound stressed or frantic, as the cat may respond to those tones by hiding.

I do hope your girl comes back home safe and sound.

Tempest

IP Logged

Beachbaby

Jack-Jack Attack!

Reply #7 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
I sure hope you find her. I can feel your heartache. When she comes home, please get her microchipped!

We all live in a yellow submarine

IP Logged

4mygolden
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 9:18am
Print Post  
Well, it's been a week.  I have been to shelters, contacted vets offices, talked to neighbors, and put out many fliers. Funny Tempest should mention the flashlight, as I have been out every night for a week with one.  She is an independant brat, as most cats are, but has ALWAYS come when I called her.  I live in the country, and I fear that a fischer cat got her, when I saw my uncle yesterday he said he had seen one around.  My poor little girl. She was going to be 4 in August, I had her since she was a little kitten.  Her brother is sad without her. Thank you all for your thoughts and ideas to lure her back.  I will still keep looking and hoping.

IP Logged

Beachbaby

Jack-Jack Attack!

Reply #9 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
She is not past tense yet!  Don't give up hope please!  Wink

We all live in a yellow submarine

IP Logged

Melissa
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 27th, 2006 at 1:06am
Print Post  
I am so sad for you! I don't know how I'd feel if one of my furbabies went missing!

I panic every time Princess goes out and doesn't come back when called. Some nights I've lain awake hours waiting for her to come home from whatever she's been doing!

The worst thing is when you don't know what's happened.

I truly hope you find your black cat again.

Melissa

IP Logged

petlove
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 4th, 2006 at 1:39am
Print Post  
About six years ago, my mutt-cat Andy ran away, or got lost, or went on a retreat for over THREE WEEKS before he came home.  At that point, we had pretty much given up.  Don't give up!!

IP Logged

somanykitties
God Member

One can never have too
many cats!

Reply #12 - Aug 8th, 2006 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Definitely do not give up.  Cats are very independent as you said, and she just may show back up.  I had one of my outside cats missing for about 3 to 4 months and then one day he came back and never left again.  My heart goes out to you, I know how worried I would be too.  Someone may have taken her in and she is just waiting for another opportunity to get out and come home!  Keep us posted.

Within the heart of every stray...lies the singular desire to be loved

IP Logged

4mygolden
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Aug 9th, 2006 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Wow guys!  Thanks for all the support.  Somedays I think she is not coming home then other days I feel like maybe she will.  I hope.  Her brother is very sad without her, he cries all the time for her.  I wonder sometimes if he is calling out for her like I do.  I call for her everyday.  Thanks again for all the support, lets keep our fingers and toes crossed!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.