Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Mange or Something Else (Read 2,634 times)
blackcat
Ex Member

Mange or Something Else
Jul 6th, 2006 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
???  ??? My nearly 19 year old black cat has what I thought was the Mange.  I looked at the websites but I don't see what I am seeing with her.  She has black hair that is matted together on her back.  Her face is fine, as is her tail, and under-belly.  We are in the process of cutting her coat, and brushing her more, which may work.  I thought because of her age, she wasn't grooming herself like she used to.  She is a very fussy eater, and drinks from the bathroom sink faucet. We also have a cute mix chihuahua-boston terrier who leaves her alone.  My cat is also deaf, and her eyes are milky, which leads me to believe she has cataracts.  Our income is poor, and I cannot afford to take her to the vet.  I just want her to be comfortable.  She doesn't try to itch her back or anything.  She has some dandruff too.  Should we try to bathe her?
Any help or knowledge of this situation is most appreciated.  Thank You.
Blackcat

IP Logged

suebgone

Re: Mange or Something Else
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 12:43am
Print Post  
She probably can no longer reach her back to bathe it.  It should have never been allowed to become matted.  Why did you get another pet if you can't afford the one you already have?  

What made you think she had mange?  That would indicate hair loss but you didn't mention that.  

Use a slicker brush on her after you get the matting out. that will pull out all the loose hair & keep it from matting.  If you use a regular brush, it only rearranges the hair.

Please be extremely careful if your are using a scissors.  Hold the scissors so that you are cutting parrallel to her body, not across it.

The dandruff or dry flaky skin is likely from a poor quality food.  You can try adding some 100% vegetable oil to her food.   About a 1/2 tsp  three times a week.
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2006 at 5:20pm by suebgone »  

I want on my tombstone - I told you I was sick

IP Logged

redfire
God Member

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 10:34am
Print Post  
It doesn't really sound like mange at all. Older cats typically have a harder time grooming because of arthritis and if she is not feeling great, then she may not want to groom herself. I think that bathing her is a good idea. But make sure that when she comes out of the bath, you blow her dry and brush her out. If you don't, you may just make her more matted. Also, be extremely careful when bathing her. Water can make nice cats mean. If you do decide to bathe her, you may want to tape her front and back feet so that she does not hurt you or herself.

AIM  
IP Logged

hscvt
God Member

Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2006 at 11:30am
Print Post  
I personally wouldn't be trying to use a scissor to get the matting out.  There is too great of a risk in cutting her.  Brushing should help get it out but may take some time...I am fortunate to have a clippers here at my house so I use that.  The matting is probably due to not being able to properly groom anymore (as already mentioned)..I have an older cat who gets the same thing..therefore I brush him often to help prevent that.

Make it a great day!&&Check out our adoption page. We are bringing home a child from Korea!!&&www.mikeandheather.bravehost.com&&&&;
WWWYIM  
IP Logged

mbsalatino

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
Hi.  I have a very old rescue kitty who had become matted.  It is suspected that it occured from her poor dental care.  We romoved the old babies mats and brush him on a daily basis to assist with his grooming.  Since your financial situation will not allow you to take her to the vet perhaps you could contact your local shelter or the humane society who may be able to direct you to free or discounted pet care.  Good luck!

M.B.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.