Treat your pet to Omaha Steaks Pet Treats!

Pet Discussion
Pet Forum - Discuss your pet and pet care with other pet lovers!
More Pet Forums - Bird Chirp - Horse Talk - Pet Discussion Blog
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Twitter PetDiscussion - Pets Chat
Pet Stories - Online Pet Store - Pets Directory - Pet Memorials

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Medication allergy  PLEASE READ! (Read 3,035 times)
anreee

Medication allergy  PLEASE READ!
Jun 23rd, 2006 at 1:09am
Print Post  
My parents have recently been dealing with a heartbreaking issue: their 7 year old shih-tzu was given a medicine called "Trimethoprim Sulfa" to clear up an infection and he had a devastating allergic reaction.  They had no idea that there could be such horrific side effects.  Their poor baby has had multiple blood transfusions, has been on an IV drip for the last 7 days, has a feeding tube in his nose, has developed an eye ulcer, his liver started failing.   Long story short and thousands of dollars later, I just wanted to stress to everyone pet owner out there to check with your vet and/or check the internet for information about the medication you are going to administer to your beloved animal.  Ask questions, find out the side effects and what signs to look for should your pet become sick, who to call in case of an after hour emergency, and make well informed, educated decisions based on the knowledge you acquire.  My parents were not prepared for such an issue--they assumed that their baby would be fine like he always had been with all other medications and they were wrong.  I just wanted to let everyone out there that loves their pet like its a human child to cautious and spend a little bit of time researching so hopefully no other person will find themselves in a hell such as the one my parents are living in.  The culprit is not just Trimethoprim Sulfa--ANY drug has the potential for side effects and don't think that since your pet has taken the same drug in the past that you are "safe".  Allergic reactions can occur at any time.

IP Logged

sandi

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Medication allergy  PLEASE READ!
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2006 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Yes, sulphur has caused many of the same reactions in humans.

I am so sorry

Sandi

IP Logged

REBA_BARNETT

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2006 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
where can i find this web sight?? thinks reba

IP Logged

KC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2006 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Hello all,

I ran across this site while Googling. 

Just this morning (Tuesday) we found out (after a very long last three days in the pet ER) that our 10 month mini schnauzer is allergic to to Trimethoprim.  He started out Friday with a fever of 104 (Friday was the ninth day on this drug).  He was fairing well thru Saturday except for vomiting once, but Sunday declined fast.  Sunday he became dehydrated and so weak and disoriented that he couldn't stand up.  We then got him into the closest ER Sunday night.  His blood platlet level was 50000 (should be 175000) Sunday night, and drop to 25000 on Monday night.  His ADL (something like that, it is the chemical associated with the liver) was up to 1500, normal should be 10-75.  They did an ultrasound this morning that showed his liver to be full size and well developed.  He is on blood plasma drip and hydration drip and a couple antibiotics.  The plasma drip is because of his internal bleeding due to the low count of blood platlets.   It is now a time game.  He is stable and has a 46% survival rate as according to the internal medical doctor. 

I am told that being allergic to this drug is very rare but is possible (as with our case).  So please be aware of symptoms that could be reations to new drugs and take immediate action.  Nobody whats to lose their best friend.  We have a couple critical days in front of us that time will only tell.

Thanks for your time

IP Logged

KC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 6:26am
Print Post  
Just a quick update,

After 4 days in the animal clinic, my little buddy got to come home and is improving every day.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Pet Discussion Forum

More Pet Forums
Bird Chirp - Horse Talk
Fish Forum - Small Pets - Wild Animals - Pet Stories
Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4 - Page 5 - Page 6 - Page 7 - Pet Discussion Blog
Pets Directory - List your site
Twitter PetDiscusion
Pets Chat Room
Pets News and Tips
Pet Memorials
Online Pet Store - Pet Meds
Yard Forum
My Pet Photos
Pets Blog
Pet Discussion Boards
Advertise
Member Rules - Privacy Policy, Information about PetDiscussion.com
Get your own professional diagnosis, treatment and care options for your pets. Views posted on this forum are for educational purposes and not intended to be expert advice for care of your pets. Opinions of members is not necessarily the views of this forum.